Just got a 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a 10g tank with the dimensions of 20x10x12. I was thinking of setting it up as a saltwater tank. Can someone please tell me what I can stock in it? What items I need to purchase? If you can be specific I'd appreciate it since I know very little about Saltwater aquariums...Thanks in advance

I just started a 10 gallon too. With the usual stuff even tho I went with saltwater:
Tank
heater (marina 50watt)
filter (api superclean 5-20)
and one maxijet 400 powerhead to help move the water around. I started with a crappy light meant for freshwater fish, but just bought a double bright LED 18-24 inches that runs white and blue.
I also used about 20 lbs of rock in my 10 gallon tank, some is "live" some is base.
Been cycling my tank with pure household ammonia, but others say use a shrimp (or two). If you don't know what that means, you will have to google "cycling a fishtank"
I also have the API master saltwater liquid test kit so I can monitor the cycle.
When the cycle is complete on this new tank and the water parameters are good, I plan on adding:
1 x ocellaris OR percula clownfish
4 blue hermit crabs
2 arrow crabs
3 margarita snails
2 narc snails
I will have my water checked in a couple of weeks by a professional at my LFS to see how close I am to being ready for actual livestock. After that, I will be doing partial water changes at least once a week.

I just started a 10 gallon too. With the usual stuff even tho I went with saltwater:
Tank
heater (marina 50watt)
filter (api superclean 5-20)
and one maxijet 400 powerhead to help move the water around. I started with a crappy light meant for freshwater fish, but just bought a double bright LED 18-24 inches that runs white and blue.
I also used about 20 lbs of rock in my 10 gallon tank, some is "live" some is base.
Been cycling my tank with pure household ammonia, but others say use a shrimp (or two). If you don't know what that means, you will have to google "cycling a fishtank"
I also have the API master saltwater liquid test kit so I can monitor the cycle.
When the cycle is complete on this new tank and the water parameters are good, I plan on adding:
1 x ocellaris OR percula clownfish
4 blue hermit crabs
2 arrow crabs
3 margarita snails
2 narc snails
I will have my water checked in a couple of weeks by a professional at my LFS to see how close I am to being ready for actual livestock. After that, I will be doing partial water changes at least once a week.

I agree with all this but I'd get a koralia nano instead of the maxijet. If you want a reef tank you will need good lighting, one of the reef par38 bulbs should work or a 4 bulb t5 fixture.

I'm not really into snails or crabs...is there anyway I can get at least two or three fish in the tank? I like fish interaction. Even if it isn't clown fish necessarily

I'm not really into snails or crabs...is there anyway I can get at least two or three fish in the tank? I like fish interaction. Even if it isn't clown fish necessarily

I would say 2 small fish maximum. Like a goby and one other fish that stays 2" or less. Why not get a cleaner shrimp too? They are cool.

Back
Top Bottom