Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just got an anemone, have some questions

Hey everyone,

I just got an anemone from my LFS. I think it may have been mis priced because it was normally 89 dollars and it was listed today for 8.99, but I'm not sure. Looks like a long tentacle anemone but I may be wrong. Anyways, I usually do a lot of research before buying something but because of the really low price tag I had to get one for my clownfish and get before they figured it out.

My main concern is about lighting. I have the deluxe hood from aqueon with a florescent bulb, will this been enough? If not, what are your recommendations. Any other tips would be helpful. The anemone has been in the tank for about an hour now and seems to be doing great. My clown seems to be a bit stressed about the addition and it staying on the other side of the tank

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is not enough light for the nem and a long tentacle for 89 bucks that way over price,...well anyways your clown may never host it.
If you really want the nem get at least t5ho for it and make sure you keep your water parameters in check all the time.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
I agree. Anenomes need more light that a regular output flourescent. I would suggest either returning the animal or upgrading your lighting system.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How big is it? I don't think $9 is anything to sweat about, but you will need to upgrade your lighting if you expect it to live/thrive.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

9 bucks, yea what's the biggie. O yea, there's another interested party in the equation. I'll bet your anemone might be 'sweating' it a bit if there isn't enough light and he's going to suffer and die.

Consider your lighting and what's needed for him to thrive, along with the '9 bucks' of course.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sorry to jump in and ask questions. I can't find a way to post question on here. I was wondering how to post questions and also on the subject of anemones, what are the different types of anemones that are good for clown fish?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I don't want it to die but I'd figure 8 dollars if worst come to worst I won't get upset. About to go out and by a T5 lamp. I have zooplankton for it, how often should I be feeding?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Isn't there a way to help get the clown to host the anemone. I read somewhere of some methods but I don't remember. I wont be hurt if he doesn't, he's a false percula tank raised but it'd be nice to see it happen. does it take awhile?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's kinda up to the fish. Not all clowns will use an anemone, sorta luck of the draw.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nems in LA usually go for $8-$25 depending on where you go. I dont think 89.99 was the correct price. Although you got it for cheap i would recomend returning it if possible untill you do a little more research and an provide it with the proper lighting. 9 bucks is nothing to us but possibly making a living creature suffer is another thing to think about.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

clowns are a bit hit and miss but most will host a nem although it could take some time,mine have host a malu nem,tried to host a waratah nem but is now hosting some hair algae!!

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com