Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-02-2004, 02:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to jamesmooni3
Just got live rock need help!

Im about to recive a 50 lbs order of LR from oceanproaquatics.com and i will be placing then in my 30 gallon tank with 20 lbs of LS. My tank is in the middle of cycling with my 2 damsel fish. They both seem to be doing fine . Will it be ok if i just directly place the rock in the tank when i get it. ?? please help

....? im a noob
jamesmooni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I'm no expert, but I'd say don't put it in... your rock will probably have dieoff from shipping, and the fish are already stressed from cycling the tank.

I say buy a rubbermaid container and put SW, a heater and a PH in it, and put the rock in there.

Keep the fish happy with water changes to keep the ammonia down

once the rock has cycled you can put it in the tank

54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I agree with Jaiden. Cycle the LR outside the tank then add to avoid stressing out your livestock once again with a cycle.
Happiness is defined by the joy we bring to the lives of others, for without that, we ourselves cannot be.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Are they shipping it or are you picking it up, if you are picking it up then put it in you tank. If they are shipping it then you do want to QT it and let it cycle away from your fish. (I'd take the fish back to the lfs and put the rock in my display, and after the cycle is complete I'd go get more fish).

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com