Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry and not sure where the carbon dip started but when i read it just didnt make any sense to me !! would be like dipping your kid in gas to get rid of lice heheheh had a hard enough time just dropping the rock in the water to be honest with you !! was gonna slowly drip water into the box it came in slowly to save as much life as possible ya know !! but after i scooped the mantis up with the net i was like hummmmm lets see how tuff these guys are so i just dropped them in and low and behold no shock death !! eating after the 2nd day and making his new hole bigger amazing how much they can dig into a rock

Old 02-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw it on baerfans post. Wished I'd known I was killing stuff with it.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

always go with ya gutt feeling most the time its right i hope or at least mabe half the time hehehe
Old 02-29-2004, 04:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. I guess I'll know better next time.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-29-2004, 06:43 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry Steve,

I just gotta disagree with you on this one. LR should be in QT before going into an established tank just like anything else. The carbonated dip that bearfan suggested was using a solution of carbonated water at the same ph and sg as the display tank. It forces critters like mantis shrimp, crabs, and other unwanted pests out of the rock and into the bottom of the pail. You can quickly sort through there and put any wanted items back. It's a method of preserving as much life as possible without introducing pests into a display tank.

Checkout this post on cirolanids for instance. Not something I want to introduce to my display tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm just a newbie, obviously, but IIRC Zack from liverocks.com supported the carbonated dip in one of the threads. In any event, I have been doing 15% or so water changes daily and the ammonia is still around 4.0. The ph is around 7.8 and I've desperately trying to increase that as well with baking soda. This morning I lost one of the damsels that I regrettably put through one cycle already. The other one is looking poor. I'm afraid that I'll begin to lose much of the life that I paid for.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the advice,

Jeff
304 Fluval
2 Maxijet 900 PHs
60# LR
1 Blue Damsel
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
2 Percula Clown
1 Yellow Tang (Small)
1 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Astrea, 3 Cerith, and Unknown Nassarius (LR hitch hikers Snails
jvennitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The ph is around 7.8 and I've desperately trying to increase that as well with baking soda.
This I don't understand

Quote:
I have been doing 15% or so water changes daily and the ammonia is still around 4.0
Keep up with the water changes, and increase it to 25%. Also if possible get those fish in a QT tank. The poor little buggers should not have to got through that.

I stayed after my water changes, got mine tuesday, 46 gal tank, did 10 gal wed, 10 gal thurs, 15 gal fri. nothing sat or sun (ammonia was just under 1). This morning ammonia is .25 .

Also check your rock, I did have 2 or 3 things die off that were just nasty smelling and had to have helped with my ammonia.

HTH

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 03-02-2004, 01:26 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to OhTheHumanity
Juvennitti,

My PH when I first put my LR in my tank was at 7.8 also. My ammonia spiked to about 1 after a few days. After a week the PH was back to 8.2 and the ammonia 0. I posted a thread about my Ph and was told it is natural for the PH to be low until everything gets going and thats what happened with mine.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:48 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Aztlan
Looks like Liverocks.com does not recommend any kind of dipping at all.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=19317
Old 03-02-2004, 08:03 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After my experience w/ this rock, which I got 140lbs around the Thanksgiving weekend, I would highly suggest some sort of dip. I didnt, and I'm hunting my eighth mantis as we speak

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, ammonia spike, live, rock, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com