just got my halides setup.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelskii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
250watts 15000k, 65wx2 actinic pc, 4 moonlights total of 380 watts for my 54 gallon corner tank..
how long should i keep the halide and actinic on for?

Folks say between 8-12 hours. Some like to start the lighting cycle with the actinics for about 30 mins then have the rest come on and then 30 mins after the main ones are off. I did this for a while, until the power went out. Now, I just run all the lights for 8 hours.

Just remeber to acclimate your corals to the more intense MH lighting ;)

so 8hrs and thats it? and if i wanna see my tank i just use the actinic?

8-12 hours will be fine. I'm glad Sadie brought it up, if you already have corals in your tank, you will ned to acclimate them to the new lights.
Is there any chance you can update "my info" with your tank size/equipment/critters, so we can help better?

You can ideally run the lights whenever you want. I'd do what the others mentioned and run them 8-9 hours, but some run their lights up to 12 hours a day. Depends on algae issues, lighting needs of your corals, etc. If you want to view your tank in just actinic, that's fine. If you want to view it will all the lights on, that would be fine too. :)

I like to stagger my lighting with the led's starting up first, then the pcs, followed by a few hours of the HQI's(still acclimating as well) and then reversing it at the end of the night. Still, I think it is a personal thing and whatever you tank does best with. HTH

thanks!! umm how bout the glass top? off or on? my mh is on a stand exactly 4inches above tank.....

I would monitor for heat and no big pH swings. Remember two things, pH will swing slightly between lights on and off, also, the glass covering could limit the gas exchange. I would go with egg crate.
Keep us posted.

noelskii said:
thanks!! umm how bout the glass top? off or on? my mh is on a stand exactly 4inches above tank.....

The glass top will cause two prolems. One it will cause PH problems due to poor gas exchange at the surface and two it will cause temp. problems keeping the heat sealed in from those MH`s.

Back
Top Bottom