Just got started..am I doing things right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a custom 78 gallon long tank (over six feet by 15 inches,15 inches) I dechloronated the water and did the salt and used my hydrometer to test the gravity. My temperature is a big hot because my house is always around 80. Water is also around 80-82.

I got 6 damsels and am letting the tank mature. How long do I do this? I will do a chemical test each day and will write down my results. When can I give away the starter fish and start with my bigger fish?

I also have two 50/50 lights (1/2 blue and white) a canister filter, no protein skimmer just yet. And pink sand substrate.

Am I on the right track?

Courtney

I

I would look in the articles section about fishless cycling. otherwise I would say you are on the right track. Is that canister your primary filtration method or are you planning on live rock? I would suggest that you read around about the more contemporary methods of SW aquarium keeping.

Boo hoo.. now I feel bad after reading that article! My poor 9 damsels are in a sewage plant! I guess its too late to try that other method...but now I know!

:(

WELCOME TO AA!!

Put the fish in a QT or ask your LFS to hold them.

Definitely! Plus those damsels will become agressive to new tankmates, and hard to catch once the tank is established.

Boo hoo.. now I feel bad after reading that article!

At least you are listening! Good job! Take them back, get about two cocktail shrimp (raw) toss them in the tank and watch nature take its course.

Back
Top Bottom