Just obtained 150 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

need4fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just obtained a 150 gallon tank for free and would like to make it a SW FOWLR tank. It's L48"xW24"xx31"D.

1) What would everyone recommend I start off with, as far as fish are concerned for beginners. ( the most cost effective)

2) I have a 30 gallon tank I can convert to a sump with skimmer and fuge.
Will this be to small?

Thanks

The 30 will be fine, maybe a little tight for a refugium, but you are going to need 150+ pounds of live rock first and then you will need to cycle the tank. You are aware of this?
As far as affordable fish, what are your plans with this tank? Will it be a peaceful tank or a predator tank?

Thanks mr_X.

I'm aware about the live rock and not sure wether or not to include live sand. A peacefull tank is what I'm planning with the obtion to introduce a little coral later. I've read about the cylcling and will give it as long as it has to, and slowly introduce the fish.

Skip the live sand. Just buy dry, aragonite based sand and use that. It will become live in a short time. scopus tangs are peaceful. Hippo tangs are also.

I wouldn't subject a hippo tang to a 4ft tank mr X would you? Regardless of depth and height.

I think they need 6ft minimum horizontal swimming room...

Cool fish!
If the hippo tang needs a minimum 6ft of horizontal swimming room couldn't you add the 2ft width to the 4ft length? I know, dumb question.

Oops! I skimmed right past the tank dims and just assumed a standard 150 dimension. I would not buy a hippo, but instead stick to the round bodied tangs like the scopus, yellow, purple, etc.

Back
Top Bottom