Just One More Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimmer910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to add one more fish to my fish tank. I was thinking about doing an Orange striped Goby and a pistol shrimp because of the cool symbiosis they could have. I just have concerns about that:

-Will the pistol shrimp attack my peppermint? I think my peppermint spends as much time on the rocks as on the sand bed so I'm worried the pistol shrimp will attack it.
- Will they eat my snails or hermit crabs in the tank?
-The tank is in my bedroom. So I don't want to hear popping as I'm trying to sleep. Will this happen?

Those are my biggest concerns right now before adding them.

peppermint shrimp will learn to keep there distance but I think they'll be fine together,
the popping sound from a pistol shrimp is very faint you'll hear it but it's not that loud,
now you should hear my lobster now that's a spine tingling pop sounds like someone snapping a tree branch, you can hear it through out the house ,
no shrimp wont eat your snails or crabs if anything your hermits will kill off the snails wanting there shells, hermits will also fight till death for each others shells , if you keep lots of assorted size shells in the tank this can help curve this some, it's a natural thing they do.

Thanks guys. Hopefully the Goby and Shrimp that I get will pair up.

Never thought of someone keeping a lobster. Must be pretty cool to have. Does it have its own tank?

isnt it a bit dangerous to have your hand in a tank with pistol shrimp?

Mantis shrimp look really crazy and freaky. I've done some research on them and I don't want broken fingers when cleaning the tank.

okay, I thought it was pistol/bullet. I could swear there was one in a tank at my LFS recently and they said their hands were never in that tank. Maybe it was a mantis shrimp but those are huge and this one was pretty small.

We had one in our tanks forever ago. We didn't buy it. We think it go smuggled in on the live rock when it was small. All we ever saw were the eyes in the reef if we shone a flashlight on it. Never saw it come out. We lost the tank (power outage/vacation) and found the body about 3". Beautiful color.

Back
Top Bottom