Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just purchased a 125 gallon and want to set up a reef

I am a beginner, so any advice that i would get is greatly appreciated. I have been looking at a wet / dry filter with protein skimmer. After going in several pet stores and getting different answers from all, i don't know whether to get the 150 or the 200? is this even the proper filter?

Old 02-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

150 or 200 what?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 125 gallon SW tank. Here's what I have that I've had very good luck with so far, knock on wood:

6 x 55w Coralife PC light - 165 daylight/165 actinic
approximately 80 lb of live rock
20 gallon wet/dry w/ 2200 l/hr pump and just a simple PVC tube for a siphon
(2) 150w heaters - 1 in tank, 1 in wet dry
simple tube protein skimmer with a maxi-jet 1200 pump in wet dry
Aqua 15w UV sterlizer
Fluval 404 canister with the filter pads and carbon, and a surface skimmer
(2) 300 g/hr powerheads

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi if you really want to set up a reef tank and do it right, id suggest some reading first. I wouldnt worry abotu buying anything else until you get the book "the conscientious marine aquarist" by robert fenner. this book is amazing and will help greatly, the book should give you a good idea on what filters etc do what, lighting, substrates, decor, fish compatability, etc etc. Also i would suggest doing lots of reading on this forum and asking lots of questions, we will all try to help you as much as possible, and guide you in the right direction, but i would defitnitley suggest getting that book and reading it, it was a huge help to a lot of us on this site, so hope this helps and i hope you come back with more questions,

remmeber if you try to rush this it will cause a lot of headaches and probably result in way more money spent than needed
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: Just purchased a 125 gallon and want to set up a reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole
I am a [i]beginner[/i], so any advice that i would get is greatly appreciated. I have been looking at a wet / dry filter with protein skimmer. After going in several pet stores and getting different answers from all, i don't know whether to get the 150 or the 200? is this even the proper filter?
Correct me if i'm wrong. But, I think 150 or 200 is the model numbers of the RTG acrylic sumps which come with bio balls, holes, and a Rio pump. Do some more research on here before you buy it. You can make your own sump, and its a whole lot cheaper. Use a 55 gal tank if you decide to make your own sump.But, if $$$ isn't an issue. Go with the 200 model.BTW, don't let the lfs burns your wallet. Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I too would reccomend some reading as well and A lot of it right here on this site, IMO I would just ask the questions you need answered right here as the lfs around here tend to give bad advise pretty often which leads to more money spent than needed due to redoing things. Go slow,read a lot, spend a lot of money and welcome to the world os SW.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #7

Thank you so much!

Everyone has been so helpful with such quick responses. Since I am just a beginner, its great to know that such good information is right here!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's what I did, Thumper.

Before you set up anything, just read through every thread on this board that interests you, make a list of species you'd like to have, which ones you can have together, what your budget will allow etc.

In effect, work backwards to decide what you'll need in terms of equipment.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 02-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #9

I noticed you only had 80 lbs. of rock. Does it fill the tank or would you recommend more?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The recomended amount is 1.5-2 pounds per gallon of water.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, reef, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com