Just started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Admiral_Subee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my new reef aquarium 2 months ago, and there is a brown algea on the sand, and a green algea on the glass, how do I get rid of it?
(I already have 4 turbo snails)

Also, is this a good setup?
50 gallon glass tank with stand
hagen fluval 304 canister filter
red sea protien skimmer(hang-on)
40 lbs of live sand/ 40 lbs reef sand
I am currently using 2 single tube normal output fluorescent hoods(better than nothing, right?) until I get a more powerful light.
I have not gotten a heater yet, because I have not determined what wattage to get.

What would a good light to get be?
(I want to get a light good enough to get most coral.)
(I don't want to get a metal-halide)
Is there any other equiptment I need?

I have the following Inhabitants;
8 damsels, 1 yellow tang, 2 clownfish, 4 snails, 1 coral banded shrimp.

I would appreciate any other advice for a begginer(my only other experience is freshwater).

Don't think I can be of much help here but I will try. Sticking with the 3W per gallon rule (if memory serves) you will likely want two 75W heaters for your tank. You will likely want a better protien skimmer, such as an Aqua C, and live rock, somewhere between 75 - 100lbs worth. You will probably want to lose the canister filter or clean it out often and add a couple more snails. For lighting, figure 4 or more watts per gallon. Again, this is all if memory serves and I reserve the right to be mistaken, especially as there are people here far more knowledgable than I.

I had ordered a VHO Light set up and it worked great. I had a double bulb set up and used one Aqua sun bulb and one super actinic bulb. It made the tank look great, and the corals and fish did great under them. As for the heater you probably need at least a 150 W heater. The Ebo-jagger makes a good heater. Everything else you described sounds ok. The filter is a matter of opinion. So people will tell you to run one some say don't. It's just a matter of preference. I ran one on my tank without any problems. The power compacts are nice too. I have a friend who has them on one of his tanks and they work great too. Good Luck with your tank.

I had a yellow tang in a 30 gal tank and it did just fine. Just make sure he can swim back and forth across the tank. I also had clown fish and cleaner shrimp and never had any problems with them. I really believe your algea problem is just lighting. Get better lights and I think your tank will do better.

Hey Zephyr HOW BIG ARE YOUR CLEANER SHRIMP IN AUSTRALIA ?

If there big enough to eat a Clown fish lets put them on the Barby and have a party :yum:

I have a 55gal tank , It had a algea problem .only had 7 turbo snails . I bought 20 more , Real clean now

Have to agree that you may want to try some more snails. Had a similar red slime problem in my 30 g with no snails. I bought a dozen and within in a week the tank was clean the algae gone.

i dont beleve zephr was talking about a cleaner shrimp. If you read the livestock list on the first post in this thread, you will see she doesnt have a cleaner, she has a coral banded shrimp. Coral banded shrimp can be killers, however, not all of them are. I have a pair of them and have no problems, however my uncle had one, and it tryed to kill anything it could get its hands (pinchers) on.

As far as the tang comment, I belive zephr was following the ol "1 tang per 100 gallons" guideline. (notice I said guideline, not rule) This is basically just a matter of opinion. Tangs are very active swimmers and they need lots of room to swim. Its just a matter of opinion how much room they need. Its like having a dog, when you tie it up what size chain are you going to put it on? 30 gallons for a tang might be like a three foot chain on a rotwieler. Seems kinda cruel to me. That JMO. Everyone has their own, and I dont belive in fish keeping rules.
Ok im done now.

EMS503 said:
Hey Zephyr HOW BIG ARE YOUR CLEANER SHRIMP IN AUSTRALIA ?
lol okay then. at my LFS there are 2 coral banded and they are bigger than the clownfish there, and if u watch them they try to get the clowns, and sum1 at this forum told me they will eat ur clownfish?!
oh well, my advice was a little negitive and far fectched due to un tru advice laid before me.
sorry for ne inconvenience

Algea Gone

The algea is now gone, I just cleaned it off with a brand new sponge - it has not returned.
But for some reason, all my fish died off.
It was not because of the sponge because it happened several days later.
I did notice the fish were acting odd for several days before they died(well before I cleaned the tank sides with the sponge), and the tang had a brownish splotch on its side.
The other inhabitants were not affected at all.
Temperature: 78
SG: 1.021
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.9
I am still going to get coral - I need to figure out what types of coral to get.

I just cleaned it off with a brand new sponge

What kind of sponge? If it is the type you would by at the grocery store, they can be treated with chemicals and soaps. This may explain your fish death.
Is there anything left alive in your tank? Before you get coral you may want to get the ph up a bit. About 8.2-8.4.

I bought the sponge from the store.
I thout if I used a new one that had not been used before, there wouldn't be any problems.
I guess it wasn't such a good idea after all

Must catch them napping
huh? I dont get it.
Hey Michael, they problem was not what was in his tank,he wanted advise on the Algea.

Admiral Subee wrote:
Also, is this a good setup?
50 gallon glass tank with stand
hagen fluval 304 canister filter
red sea protien skimmer(hang-on)
40 lbs of live sand/ 40 lbs reef sand
I am currently using 2 single tube normal output fluorescent hoods(better than nothing, right?) until I get a more powerful light.
I have not gotten a heater yet, because I have not determined what wattage to get.

What would a good light to get be?
(I want to get a light good enough to get most coral.)
(I don't want to get a metal-halide)
Is there any other equiptment I need?

I have the following Inhabitants;
8 damsels, 1 yellow tang, 2 clownfish, 4 snails, 1 coral banded shrimp.

I would appreciate any other advice for a begginer(my only other experience is freshwater).

It appears to me that he wanted any advice for a beginner, not just on algae. :roll:

Must catch them napping
i think it means that the coral bandeds catch fish while they are sleeping (do they sleep?!?!?)
ems503, i do not try to make jokes about your culture, nor anything else i might find stupid about americans. please give me the same respect that i give to you and everyone else on this site.

wow....wondering where the cultural comments came from...or the fact americans can be stupid....I think you may be interpreting comments in the wrong way.

I do not see where anyone was attacking you personally....chill a bit.

Back
Top Bottom