Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red face Just started 55 gal salt w, reef tank.help

Ever one I call or pet store I go into,, incl youtube advice, is very diff from each other
when to ad live rock
when to ad fish
I am so confused..
I bought a 55 gal, with supposidly live rock and live sand,, NOT
all dead

didnt know till after I set it up and got started-

Tank is running good,

now , can I ad live sand to what is in tank (1" or so in there)
and I have the 11 dead rock pieces,
just bought 7 live ones

tested water , all is great
added ' natural trace Reef suppliment'
as pet store told me to ad it to help rock

everytime I go in there some workers say rock might die in a new tank??

some tell me to ad a dead shrimp to bring up bacteria,,

others say I can get the hardy fish,, chrummies

others say wait 4 wks,,, some say change 25# each wk with new salt water

should I still have pet store test water or should I do it myself?

just any advice from one successful experienced person would really be appreciated

thanks
I can post photo of my tank soon

emma

Old 12-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
I'll answer a few of your questions. Your rock will not 'die' its great to use for cycling the tank. If its cured, you will need to add one- two grocery store cooked shrimp in order to get the ammonia going. Thats what the good bacteria feed on. Test the water after a few days, you should see the ammonia rise, then nitrite then when those two are at zero and you're getting nitrate readings your cycling is done. do NOT use live fish to cycle!! It typically takes 4 weeks or so to cycle a tank. Dont do a water change until your cycling is done. Then do about a 30% or so change. Recommended normal water changes are about 10-20% every 2-3 weeks roughly, give or take depends on the water quality and bioload.

Theres several good articles on the site with more in depth info. Either look in the article section or do a search on it

Once you get fish, add one or two small fish a month in order for the bacteria to grow to compensate for the waste.

I HIGHLY recommend buying your own test kit. You will need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as PH and something to test your salinity with. A refractometer is great, but worse comes to worse, a cheap swing arm will do ok until you can afford a refractometer.

You do not need suppliments, especially if you only have live rock in your tank. Dont waste your money. Use Ro/di water if you can.

RESEARCH!! If you think you want something, go home look it up and see if it will work in your tank before buying it. I would also very highly recommend a simple quarantine tank to put your fish in ( even your first fish) so you dont have to deal with diseases and having your tank fishless for 7+ weeks because pf ich etc. A simple QT tank can be 10-20 gal with a small HOB filter and a peice of PVC pipe or a small pot. It is WELL WORTH the $30-40 to protect your fish.

Please check here for anything you're thinking of buying. Everyone is very helpful and will save you lots of money, as apposed to the LFS which is just trying to make money. Any more ?'s feel free to ask!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

The rock it's self isn't really alive. What makes it "live" is the bacteria that lives in and on the rock. That is what you are interested in. As long as the rock was in SW it should have some bacteria living on it thus it is somewhat live.

Some LFSs and pet stores will tell you that you need things you don't always need. Do some research online or ask questions here and take what answers you get and then decide what you need or don't need.

The link I posted above should help you out a lot. Oh and I agree with Catmel, get your own test kits and test your water yourself. The more involved you are with your system the better off you will be. Depending on someone else can cost you lots of $$$.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everyone here are big fans of the "fishless cycling theory", which in my opinion is not the optimal solution. I successfully cycled my tank very humanly with 6 Dammsel fish. Give it a try you will not be dissatisfied.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You can certainly cycle with fish as has been proven over the years. There are however other methods that don't cost the lives of fish, or potentially cost the lives of fish. Using the "fishy cycle" can infect a new tank with ich very easily as the fish are stressed. I have seen it more times then I care to count. The fish method and the fishless method are both proven to work in cycling a tank. It is something that you have to decide on your own which works best for you and makes the most sense to you.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Please dont give it a try. Adding fish to cycle your tank is inhumane and harmful to fish. Even experts like Dr Fenner have stated that this is not in the best interest of fish. Cycling with Fish is something that was done long ago because the fishes health was not considered. Very few people and no one of expert status recommends it today.
Welcome aboard Emma. Glad to see you starting up a Sw tank. 55 gallons is a great size to start with. Look forward to seeing pics of the progress.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Just because the fish lives doesn't mean its respiratory system wasn't severely impacted and in no way is it considered humane if you understand the trauma the internal organs go through. The optimal solution to aquarium keeping is caring for your animals as best we can without disregard for their health.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well said Innovator!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Just because the fish lives doesn't mean its respiratory system wasn't severely impacted and in no way is it considered humane if you understand the trauma the internal organs go through. The optimal solution to aquarium keeping is caring for your animals as best we can without disregard for their health.
Yup it's like smoking 10 packs of cigarette's a day.......... I can't BREATH!!!!!!
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Well said James.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, reef, reef tank, salt, started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com