Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation Just started a 40g reef

Hello - i recently just started putting fish & soft corals into my 40g (tall)tank. What i have now is a 405 fluval canister, p skimmer, heater, Marine land Reef capable LED lighting (24 - 36” - (23) 10,000K White & (4) 460 nm Blue 1W LEDs – 1670 Lumens), thermometer, hydrometer...i also have a handful of reef supplements, and about 30 pounds LR

after about a month of cycling my Amon., Nitrate & Nirtite all spiked and is now at 0..

Salinity is 1.024 - 1.025 / PH 7.9/8.0

Throughout the past 2 weeks i have been adding fish::: I now have 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Percula Clown(pretty small), 1 turbo snail, 1 hermit crab (small), 2 blue damsels(small), 1 purple firefish, 1 algae blenny, and 1 bi-color shrimp...

On Saturday i added 1 blue/purple/green zoo soft coral - about 10 or so actual flower tops (they came on a piece of LR) and a Toad stool leather soft coral.

I have a question about the T/S leather.. i see about two or three clear strings extend and retract from it.. Is this normal? ( dumb question: i assume its using it to get food)

I bout liquid food for the two Soft coral and i feed the other fish a mix of flakes / frozen shrimp (in the sq. plastic )/ pellets and sometimes put a piece of algae in the tank for a cpl hrs..

What are some other REEF SAFE fish that are full of color / hypnotizing to look at / Not aggressive / somewhat hardy / get along with the fish i have already?????

Also what are some other soft corals that would be a good addition to my tank...

also i just did a 20% water change last night... fish/corals are looking great..

FYI - for the past 3 years i had a FW tank *25g* and decided to change to SW *

even tho it's a lot more work -with saltwater - (i.e, research, equipment, water testng, etc.) its defidently worth it at the end of the day.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
That's a whole lot of ls in such a short period of time

Sent from my HTC ANDROID INCREDIBLE using Aquarium

Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #3

whats ls?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

come to think abt it i added my turbo/hermit/ and damsels on teh 11th of march . added the clown & fire on the 19th and this past weekend the algae and tang / shrimp . didnt realize it was April already. so busy at work can barely remember what day it is
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjbones View Post
whats ls?
oops i meant live stock
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #6

i've been doing alot of research and what i come to conclusion is 1-1.5 weeks (7-15 days) before you add more... thats about what i was doing...

is that wrong? more time?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A yellow tang in a 40 gallon!?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #8

the guy at my lfs said the tang was OK.. its quite small tho.

was he wrong???
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea.....but you might be able to keep it if you really want to....others might disagree but I know how horrible it is to have to give a favorite fish back. This way it's not in someones 20 gallon at least....
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright so first of all, they need swimming room. Like 6-8 ft of it. It is recommended for 100+ gal tanks. Also they have scaleless skin so they are susceptible to disease. They easily get ich, velvet, and other diseases. It is a mistake many people do and you are one of many. I would return it.

You said you wanted hypnotizing fish.. Just a heads up you will see a madarin goby someday. When you see it do not by the thing. It needs Copepods to thrive and that means getting them to multiply in your tank. You would need many things to do that and it is too much work IMO. But there are fish that will look great like.... Some types of gobies, clownfish (IMO), and many others that I can't think of right now.
This is just a heads up and good luck

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 gallon, reef, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com