Just started a new tank,got some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rj_22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 45 gallon FOWLR tank yesterday. I got fiji aragonite from the pet store. Today I am going to buy some live sand to start the live sand bed. I am going to transport some live rock from my other tank, to the 45 gallon to start the cycling. I was also thinking of adding a damsel to help with the cycling.Is this a bad idea? Should I use rock from my existing tank,or should I just go buy a real big piece to help start? There is still very little bit of cloudiness in the water if that helps with your answering of the questions.

If you're the patient type, there's a way to do it that will almost eliminate the cycle and will save you some money. Get dry base rock...perferably something porous that would make nice looking LR. Stack it in first and top it off with some of the LR from your other tank. The "dead" base rock will be LR in a few months...may not take that long. You can also move some sand from the other tank to help start the sand bed. Add some water from the other tank too.
Advantages: You don't get any undesirable critters that you don't already have.
There will be no cycle to speak of because the sand and base rock are inert...nothing there to die off. The LS and LR that you add is already fully cured and won't experience any die off. The bacteria is already there and would probably support a small fish or two.
Disadvantages: It will take a lot longer to get everything going and looking good.
Anyway...just a few thoughts that might save you some money and still have the desired results.
Logan J

What kind of base rock? All that I have seen at the local pet stores is Live Rock,and Tonga Branch Rock. Wait I have seen this white colored rock. Is this it?What else should I do to keep this up and going in the right direction?

Since it is a new tank and has some cycling to do regardless of what you use from your other tank (may not be that long to cycle) you could buy your LR from on-line and pay wayyyyy cheaper and cycle it in you new tank since it will arrive with some die off. You can probably get 45lbs for $ 150.00 instead of $ 8.00 a LB.

Back
Top Bottom