Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
"Are there different types of live rock?"

Yes. There are many different types, all of which I am not familiar. However, my 55 has both Fiji, and Gulf live rock. Buy locally cured live rock, and you should be okay. If you buy live rock off of eBay, or online, there will be some die-off during shipping, and this could mini-cycle your tank. I've had damsels, they are too aggressive. I now have two small 1" true percula clownfish, and they so far are doing great. No fighting or aggression so far. Other good fish are green chromis. They are quite beautiful, and from what I have read/heard, not that aggressive. But remember, no matter what fish you choose, make sure that the tank is completely cycled prior to introducing any livestock.

jphendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
I just hooked up my lighting now I can hook everything up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-998940144.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	27131  

Scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i like the stand..pretty cool.
i'm betting you bought the coralife super skimmer 65. if so, return it and look into a reef octopus protein skimmer. they are better by far. i also suggest you purchase one rated for 2 x your tank volume, as manufacturers rate these things vaguely...they have no idea what bio load and maintenance schedule will be in place, and they seem to stretch the truth a bit about their products efficiency as well IMO.

buy 50-75 pounds of live rock and toss it in the tank. let it cycle for a couple weeks(with the light off, unless you want algae blooms) then start testing the water for ammonia and nitrite, and nitrate. once there is no detectable ammonia or nitrite, the water is no longer toxic and you can slowly add livestock.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
Think u for the info and yes that's the skimmer I have... The stand is nice... Cost about 170$$ I built it myself

Scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com