Just starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColBen112

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I have a 46 gal bow front just started i got live sand two 25 pound bags 3 live rocks 3 base rocks i got this light its a modle 36psdx light i havent heard if its good or not, then i have a aqua-tech 30-60 filter, and a heater cant tell who makes it or how big it is its pretty old and all the print is worn away, my tank is staying at 78 degrees so its big enough i guess glass hood and stand all in a package deal. Would this be a good set up for Butterflys i was looking at the copperband butterflyfish and a raccoon alos a pair of clowns and a blue tang. I guess my main questions is my tank capable of this with this setup or do i need to upgrade anything
Any advice will help fish or tank advice Thanks

Hi there, welcome to the forum. :)

i'm sorry to say your tank is too small for tangs. They need a good six foot tank. I dont see why you cant keep some smaller fish though. Clownfish would be good.

carey said:
Hi there, welcome to the forum. :)

i'm sorry to say your tank is too small for tangs. They need a good six foot tank. I dont see why you cant keep some smaller fish though. Clownfish would be good.

Sweety everyone says that but I kept a yellow and a maze tang n a 55 for about 4 years so not true

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it shouldn't. You'll find that practice is pretty much standard here. Just want the OP to be prepared.

carey said:
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it shouldn't. You'll find that practice is pretty much standard here. Just want the OP to be prepared.

Ya for a tank that small I'd try just the one n when I switched to my 135 I lost. Both my tangs was like they hated the space lol IV sense really made my whole. Live stock all ***** fish lol

dadime69 said:
Sweety everyone says that but I kept a yellow and a maze tang n a 55 for about 4 years so not true

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+392&pcatid=392

Now youre not going to find a six foot long 100 gallon tank but thats the min space they need, people say at least a six foot tank because of the way tangs swim. Like casey said doesnt mean that it cant be done, but people also grow cats in bottles; so animals can survive in areas much smaller than necessary, that doesnt mean that it should be done nor that the animal is healthy.

kurtyboh

Sorry Carey I hit a wrong button on my ipod, correcting things all the time when I use it just didnt see that one...

kurtyboh

I believe you can stunt their growth which isn't a very nice thing to do. :)

I sooo want a tang in my 4 foot tank...BUT alas it's not meant to be

Why put the fish through the extra stress? If you are planning on upgrading, then it would be best to wait on a fish with the larger requirements. What if something happens to you financially and when the time came to upgrade you couldn't? Then you would have to donate or rehome the fish adding even more stress than just moving tanks. I eventually want a panther grouper, but I am definately waiting for the larger tank even though I plan on getting him as a baby.

Don't know about tangs but I wanted to chime in and say I have a 46 bow front and it's shaping up to be a nice little reef tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom