Just Starting Live/Base Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jayhawker518 said:
Do i run normal water thru the tank, then add the salt test the salinity with my refratormeter than add the rest?
If you already have a pre-mix bucket, I would mix the salt/water and heater, this will give you an idea of how many cups of salt you will need in your bucket. This may be easier to regulate the salinity, instead of adding/removing water. Or you could put it all to gether and try to get the salinty right, this could be more of a pain but easier.
Jayhawker518 said:
Anything im missing
You may want to invest in a Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4452&N=2004+113074, to watch you levels.
I would also add a fresh, unseasoned jumbo shrimp, from your grocery store, to provide an ammonia source. If you see your ammonia go off the chart or at the top, remove the shrimp and let it cycle.

Thanks Roka. I am definitely going to get a kit as well for all the water tests. I saw the article about the shrimp ill have to pick that up as well.

Im going to order the base rock and everything at the same time pretty much. Soon actually.
Is there any way i should order stuff? I mean i dont want to get the live rock without getting the salt mix and what not. Should i make sure the water is set first then do the rock and substrate right?

I would get the water in the tank and mixed/aerated for at least 24 hours before adding any LR or LS. That will allow all the salt mix to dissolve fully, as well as all the parameters(ie-SG, PH, etc) to come up to proper levels. Freshly mixed SW can be toxic for the first 12-24 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom