Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Originally Posted by Jayhawker518
Do i run normal water thru the tank, then add the salt test the salinity with my refratormeter than add the rest?
If you already have a pre-mix bucket, I would mix the salt/water and heater, this will give you an idea of how many cups of salt you will need in your bucket. This may be easier to regulate the salinity, instead of adding/removing water. Or you could put it all to gether and try to get the salinty right, this could be more of a pain but easier.
Originally Posted by Jayhawker518
Anything im missing
You may want to invest in a Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit , to watch you levels.
I would also add a fresh, unseasoned jumbo shrimp, from your grocery store, to provide an ammonia source. If you see your ammonia go off the chart or at the top, remove the shrimp and let it cycle.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to Jayhawker518
Thanks Roka. I am definitely going to get a kit as well for all the water tests. I saw the article about the shrimp ill have to pick that up as well.

Im going to order the base rock and everything at the same time pretty much. Soon actually.
Is there any way i should order stuff? I mean i dont want to get the live rock without getting the salt mix and what not. Should i make sure the water is set first then do the rock and substrate right?

Jayhawker518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would get the water in the tank and mixed/aerated for at least 24 hours before adding any LR or LS. That will allow all the salt mix to dissolve fully, as well as all the parameters(ie-SG, PH, etc) to come up to proper levels. Freshly mixed SW can be toxic for the first 12-24 hrs.

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote

base, base rock, live, rock, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com