Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jayhawker518
Just Starting Live/Base Rock Question

Hello all. New to the forum but not to aquariums. Like everyone else i have set up many freshwater tanks. Easy!
So on to salt water I have a 30 gal tank to start the new hobby.
I plan on using some live sand for my substrate and a combo live and base rock for the decor. I was looking at Marco rocks, and he has a 25 lb box of rocks and i have learned i will need more than this. Is there any point in buying the 25 lb of base rock and then the 12.5 of rubble rock to make up for it? Then buy another 10 or so lbs of live rock or just spring for 50 of the base rock and a little live rock?
Help me fish gods!
Slow and Steady is the way im heading. One more do you need a aerorato in a salt water tank? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA

All you need to aerate your tank in SW is a PH pointed to the top to aggitate the surface. Just remember that water surface aggitation = aeration in the sw business. As far as the sand I would buy new sand and just seed it with a cup or two from your LFS sand. Your LR plan sounds OK. I`m going to move this to the getting started forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure if this helps answer your question, but when mixing LR w/ base rock you want to use at least 30% LR to base. Using even more LR has the potential to increase the diversity of animals in the tank, and that will aid in the overall long-term health of the system. As far as aeration goes, the turnover of the tank(hourly gph of equipment relative to aquarium volume), along w/ good surface agitation as Melosu said will take care of gas exchange. HTH
Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
when mixing LR w/ base rock you want to use at least 30% LR to base.
Ditto, considering the small tank you really might want to consider 100% lr since it would only run about $50 more then buying base and "some" lr. It's $65 for 25 lbs of base but you can get 50 lbs of quality lr for $99-$120 so since you aren't trying to load up 200+ lbs of lr in a huge tank I'd go for all lr IMO. Also 50-60+ lbs of rock is about what you need for your 30 gal tank.

If looking for cheap live rock checkout intmarinefish.com or www.exoticfish.com
which has lr for as little as $2-$3 per lb shipped.

Couple of more places with quality lr:
www.liverocknreef.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.tampabaysaltwater.com

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

I agree with the rest. I did buy from marcorocks, and am very pleased, BUT I bought 150Lbs of it. Depending on your finances, you can go either way, by using base/LR combo, or just LR.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jayhawker518
Hey, Thanks for all the opinions. I think Im going to get a small amount of the base rock and then the live rock from those sites tecwzrd suggested.
Definitly wont cycle with Fish, ive read alot on here so far and realize this.
Trying to plan out all i need and then get it in pieces so i dont mess something up.

OK, aerator question, still slightly confused. I just need a PH meaning Powerhead correct and point it towards the top and that will be good enough? Im just doing a FLOWR tank not a reef so i wasnt sure what i needed for that.

Last thing, been searching a bunch can someone post me a link of a good "Start to End" and "What needed" for starting the salt tank. I have a good idea, but like to confirm what i think.
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME LOVE THIS PLACE!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker518
just need a PH meaning Powerhead correct and point it towards the top and that will be good enough?
In SW, O2 exchange takes place via surface ripple. So you don't have to put a ph pointing directly at the surface. I have two on opposite ends of my tank, pointing at eachother, that seems to do the job.

Here is an Article that may answer your start up questions.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quoting from my Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank post (which has other recommendations as well)

The use of a power head to move your water is necessary with a SW tank and a tank turn over of 15-20 times for FO/FOWLR/REEF is good since all benefit from good current. I would get at least two. Point them upwards and at each other to create a slight ripple on the surface for good oxygen exchange and convulsing currents. If the PH doesn't come with a pre-filter/screen (plastic or sponge) then consider adding a sponge to keep fish/inverts/sand from getting sucked into it.

For 55 gal or less sized tanks the following power heads are good choices IME.
Maxi-Jet, Marineland Penguin 1140, & the Hagen AquaClear Powerhead

For a 30 gal I'd get two Maxi-jet 900 or AquaClear PowerHead 50. The Penguin 1140 is too powerful and the 660 is not enough IMO.

The point of the PH is to break the surface for oxygen exchange. Air stones also break the water's surface (when the bubbles pop) but because SW doesn't exchange oxygen as well as FW PH are recommended since the amount of air/air stones needed to properly break the surface would cloud the tank with tons of bubbles and is just not practical both aesthetically and due to the subsequent salt spray the heavy popping would cause.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker518
OK, aerator question, still slightly confused. I just need a PH meaning Powerhead correct and point it towards the top and that will be good enough?
This is correct. As far as what`s needed here is a thread by one of our mods.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76139

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

LOL! We must have all been typing the response at the same time!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
base, base rock, live, rock, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com