Just starting out w/our 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff&Lacey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!! We have a 20L saltwater with LR and LS and would like to convert our 55 into salt as well. Ive been reading as much as I can as far as cycling goes but Im slightly confused. We plan on having LR and LS in the 55, do we put that in when we do the initial set up? Or do we just do the water first and then wait??? We were spoiled with our 20 gallon, it was Jeffs neices and she didnt want it anymore. She bought the live rock and sand off a guy who had it in his tank for years and she had the set up for quite a while, so we never had to do this cycling before. Should we try and find some LR and LS thats established? Or just buy it from a store?? Thanks in advance :D

You would want to set the tank up with LS and LR your pre-mixed SW and then add a shrimp that you would get from the grocery store and drop that in until you see a spike in Ammonia then take the shrimp out and let the tank finish it cycle. The more experenced guys and gals on this form will chime in if I forgot anything. What ever you do please do not cycle with live fish. BTW welcome to AA.

Thanks for the replies. I got a little confused when I read that you can put live rock in while the tank is in cycle because it will kill the good bacteria. Im not really sure what we're going to stock it with. In the 20 gallon there are; O Clown, Chocolate Chip Starfish, 3 Stripe Damsel, Blue Damsel and 3 little Blue Legged Hermit Crabs. I think the 20 gallon will be a quaranteen tank. And no I wouldnt cycle with live animals...thats cruel.

Props on the QT. If that is the case, you will want to remove the sand and rock and just have some PVCs for hiding.

The ammonia will feed the nitrifying bacteria. That`s the purpose of the cycle to get your nitrifying bacteria going. Just follow that article on cycling that Scott gave you.

Back
Top Bottom