Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2003, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
Just starting to cycle new tank. Just a few questions.

I have a 77gal tank set up now with just the water and two dead shrimp for cycling, its been set up for only a few days, i also added some cycle and start zyme for a little jump start, (cant get bio-spira here yet . Now what should i do? Do i get some live rock now to add in? I have read that this is good for the cycling process. Also as for live rock, can i just get some regular base rock and put the live rock on top of it, the corals should spread eventually? Also, when should i turn on my filter? Its a Fluval 404 canister with just Bio-Max and Carbon in it now. Ok, last question, promise... The water is a little cloudy, is this normal?

Thanks so much!

Old 11-21-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I can't say I know an extreme amount about all this yet. But when I set my tank up I did have my filter running and the water was cloudy for a day and then settled down. But I put live sand in so that probably increased the cloudyness but it is supposed to also help the cycle get going.

Live rock does help too from what I've heard. I don't keep corals just fish...so I don't have any clue about that. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
Since i have posted this, the water clarity has increased dramatically... until i added 20lbs of fiji's finest. :P

Tags
cycle, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com