Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
thank you for all the great info. I will continue to research until I can set up my tank and then make my final decision on which way I will go.

blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
He said that the best and least expensive way to top off water and do water changes is to buy the saltwater.
Just remember, top-off with FW and water change with SW. .50/gal is good for SW but making it at home is very easy. In the long-run you will save money.
Buying sand rather than crush coral is much easier to keep clean.
If I got a Puffer, I could be the cleaning crew. How difficult is it to keep up with it. I would think I would have to clean everyday.
Correct again. Just a regular schedule of PWC and algae scrapping. Once a week or so.
He said I could start out with the fake stuff and I could go with LR later.
Sorry, I disagree with this. LR right from the start will only help you out. Best to go in at the begining. look here... www.liverocks.com
I'm sure I will have to upgrade my lighting.
No need to upgrade your lighting for a FOWLR tank. If you have some intentions of adding live coral down the road then you will need to upgrade lighting. However, you should re-think the puffer if that is the case.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The fishing store I work at has an $1800 filtration system for the minnow tanks. It removes EVERYTHING from the water (as minnows are VERY sensitive to chemicals. Free clean water for me!

rvdklok is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com