Just want to think ahead on some ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I tried posting this question on another forum and everybody bit my head off. So I hope nobody does that here.

Ok, I am fairly knowlegable on fish and saltwater keeping, and I currently work at a tropical fish store. So I am able to get ANY fish I want at an amazing price so I was looking for some really neat or cool ideas on fish to add to my tank. I only plan to add 1 maybe 2 fish max. And they need to be on the small to medium size b/c of what else I have.
I have a 90 gallon fish only with about 45 lbs of live rock. I plan to get some more rock just waiting for the store to finish curing this batch. I will probably get about 20 more lbs total. I currently have a few snails and hermits, and 1 Powder Brown Tang (will get to about 9") a porcupine puffer (super tiny now but will get to be about 12"), a Blue Dot Watchman Goby (will get about 5" may already be full grown), a fire clown (I THINK he will get about 4 incheas) and a red tail file fish (will get 4 inches) So I have about 34 inches of fish at there maximum sizes. So I am thinking Ican get 1-2 more fish. I have on order a lyretail hawkfish which gets about 4 inches.
I am not in ANY rush to get these other fish b/c I want to slow down on adding things to the tank, but I like to do alot of research on my pets before purchasing them so that I know what their needs are.
So again something small to medium sized and that would be an exciting addition to my beautiful fish.
Thanks
Christina

They may have bitten your head off because they think you already have an incompatible mix of fish, though I'm not sure. I've only heard of puffers being kept in solitary or predator tank set-ups, but this one might be different (I also could just not have heard of the other kinds of set-ups because I am new to the saltwater side of aquariums).

Make sure you're taking the habits of all your fish into consideration and not just their maximum sizes.

Personally I would classify your tank at full capacity. Expecially once the fish you have start growing larger. What kind of filtration do you have aside from the 45lbs of rock?

Wouldn't you have to consider the amount of rock in a tank when calculating the maximum inches of fish? I know they base this on the aquarium size. But in essence when you add rock you take away from the volume of the tank. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Sparky

If the rock was inert that might be the case but since the rock will aid in the filtration its not really a concer for what the volume of water that will be displaced by the rock. Until you get to a point where there is acutally limited swimming room.

I have a 30 gallon sump. And I am in the process of shopping for a protein skimmer.
I was really just hoping for like and dwarf angel or maybe a chalk bass or something. They are quite small, nothing big. You really think this is all I can do.

Christina

Welcome to AA. :mrgreen:

No one here will bite your head off but will freely give advice based on the health of your fish. I'm out of my league with the compatability issue, but I have to agree that you might be reaching your max load for your size tank.

I would have to agree, your type of fish don't really benefit from hiding in and around the live rock so it will not help lessoning stress of overcrowding. The puffer will be the big fish as you stated and they are very messy eaters. You will need some good mechanical filtration as well as biological.

Back
Top Bottom