Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Melonbob: I'm sorry but, imo, that fixture won't do for corals, let alone an anemone. It's good enough for now but when you want to add corals you'll need to upgrade.

Pretty much every dry good you can by at a lfs (lights, filters, etc.) is a LOT cheaper when bought on the internet. I buy all my lights from the internet and even the replacement bulbs. The replacement bulbs are double the price at my lfs when compared to what I can get them as off the internet.

Another thing you can find out quickly in this hobby (if you do you research) is that the guy at the local fish store usually is just trying to sell you stuff and either doesn't know what he's doing or is tricking you into buying stuff. They usually get the general concept of fish keeping but if you go more specific they are lost.

Wow lr $10 a pound. That's a lot and yet again you could find it cheaper online, and probably better quality.

And like Kurt is pointing out, books are your friends

Old 10-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can you point me in the direction of what I should be getting as far as lighting? I realize that you get what you pay for, but I also want to be able to afford the rest of this tank as well. Thanks for the help. My tank is 46gal bowfront, and measures 36" wide

Old 10-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

First of all Welcome!

Doing it right sometimes takes steps to get there. I'm on my third round of lighting. I started my tank as a FOWLR and just had the 40w NO (normal output) strips that my lfs included in my tank purchase. Later I wanted some mushrooms and softies and upgraded to 2 - Coralife 36" fixtures with a 96w-10k and 96w-actinic compact fluorescent (CF) bulb in each. Now I have a 72" fixture with 3-150w metal halides (MH) and 4-96w cf actinics. It was on sale at the time. I should have spent the couple hundred extra and gone for the 250w MH setup

Most of the people here have a bunch of items laying around that were upgraded. No matter how well you plan that's just part of the hobby.

You need to decide on what you want to keep in the tank and then make the light purchase based on that. Take some time. Look at other tanks and make a list of what you like. Then check for compatability and needs, both lighting and feeding.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonbob
Can you point me in the direction of what I should be getting as far as lighting? I realize that you get what you pay for, but I also want to be able to afford the rest of this tank as well. Thanks for the help. My tank is 46gal bowfront, and measures 36" wide
I've got the same tank (Oceanic) and there are the lights I have...

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...S&Category=620

Gives you about 4 watts/gallon and is enough lighting to do just about all the LPS (large polyp) corals, mushrooms, leathers, and zoanthids. These are pretty much all the corals out there except for the SPS (small polyp) corals which are the acroporas and associated varieties. (These are the "branching" hard corals you normally think of when you think about corals.)

Unless you know for a fact that you want to do SPS corals, I'd highly recommend this light. Very quiet, three separate switches for the actinic/daylight/moonlight so you can control them separately, and a nice compact looking unit.

I *think* it may be enough light for lower light requirement anemones, but I'm not sure. I'm not planning on going that route, so I've never researched it. Perhaps someone with a BTA (bubble tip anemone) can chime in on that.

Agree that it's nice to support your local fish store, but when buying the startup stuff, you'll easily find hardware online for AT LEAST 50% off what your fish store sells it for... including shipping. The only thing I bought locally was my tank and stand itself. Everything else came online - even the rock and sand. However... I have bought just about everything in my tank living from one or two fish stores, where I also buy food, test kits, and misc supplies. I don't really feel guilty about it because the stores know they can't compete against the online folks. That's why many of them (at least in my area) don't really stock a ton of hardware. They seem to focus on those things that people need in a hurry - heaters, powerheads and pumps, medications, test kits, carbon, etc.

Agree with cmor1701d... it you stick in the hobby for any length of time, you'll end up with several "spare" items in a cupboard somewhere. It's just part of the learning experience. But shelling out the money upfront for a quality skimmer, good lighting, and quality live rock can really help start you off in the right direction. Skimping on things up front can actually cost you more money in the long run with increased maintenance costs, livestock death, etc.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

On anemones, the fixture Kurt pointed out will be "ok" for a bta, but more light would be better. I wouldn't keep any other anemones under that.

You could also look into 36'' T-5 fixtures, Current has a "Nova Extreme T-5 w/ lunar lights" 156 watts would be ok for hardy corals and a bta, but I wouldn't do a lta or any sand/bottom dwelling anemones.

If your willing to spend some extra money there are the SunPod HQI units. The 36'' one with two 150 watt MH's would be good ($450). If you wanted a tank specific to anemones, then the one with two 250 watt MH's would be a better choice ($600).
Old 10-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #16

Well, my wife is going to return the lighting tomorrow, we only picked it up on Friday, and we are going to look for something a bit better online. Unfortunately, our budget is tight at the moment, Melissa was in a car accident a month ago and hasn't been back to work. chances are we will probably look in the classifieds and ebay for something in the 150-200 max range. If anyone sees any finds, please let us know! Thanks for all the help. Also, we are looking for live rock that will ship to canada, if anyone can point us to someone reliable, it would be great!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

You don't need the lights until your ready to add corals and your anemone. That should not happen for quite a few months. Don't rush into buying something now. Wait till your ready and save until then. Words I wish I could live by.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #18

Yes, but you do need some lighting to cycle your tank and take care of your live rock etc. don't you? If I need lighting, I may as well return the one I have rather than be stuck with it. Other than that, the only lighting I have is the single 36" flourescent I was running freshwater with that came with the tank
Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Technically you don't need any lighting at all during the cycle because during the cycle your establishing bacteria to convert NH3 into NO2 and then finally NO3. You want lights to keep anything photosynthetic on the lr alive though and the fixture you currently have is enough to accomplish this until you decide to go with corals/anemone.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #20

Thats how I figured it, but seeing as I haven't bought my LR yet, and Melissa should be able to return it tomorrow, I may as well shop for something that will suit us better

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com