Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just wanted to introduce myself!

Hi! We a a family from northern ontario, and just wanted to introduce ourselves. We are in the process of starting our first SW aquarium. We have a 46G bowfront, and since we are completely green when it comes to this, we are listening to our local guy and reading as much as we can! At this point we have added our sand and gave everything a few days to settle. Then our local shop gave us a small bag of "grunge" from one of his aquarium, as well as two very small pieces of LR, to start cycling. He says he prefers not to add LR until the tank is cycled? Either way, its amazing to wake up in the morning and find tracks in the sand!

As far as equipment, all we have at this point is the tank, a 350 biowheel, a 36" coralife t5, and a powerhead. We will be adding over then next few weeks as the tank is cycling. Anyways, hello, and I hope to hear from all of you!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Welcome. It sounds like you are off to a good start.

About the lr, imo it's easier to add all of it at once when cycling the tank then slowly adding it. You can slowly add it over time but the cycle will take longer. I would suggest looking at the tank at night and trying to see if you have any hitchhiker crabs or anything else. If you find something in there try and get a picture of it or describe as best you can in the ID part of the forum. There are a lot of bad hitchhikers out there and it's easiest to catch them before you start stocking the tank.

What do you plan on keeping?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #3

Thats what we are not sure of yet...... lol We are just starting into looking at what we can keep, but it will def be a reef with coral etc. The only thing we are set on is a pair of clowns, since we have a 3 year old and as you know every 3 year old wants a "Nemo"
Old 10-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. So a reef with a pair of Ocellaris clowns. Is that correct?

I recommend getting tank raised clowns because they are hardier than wild caught and not likely to have internal parasites.

How many watts is your T-5 fixture?

And any idea on what corals you would like to keep?

I also do not recommend any anemone until the tank is stable. Most people who get clowns want an anemone so I had to include this.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #5

It is a 36" 42 watt. No idea on which corals, but definately something easier to keep for starters. For sure an anemone, but no rush on that either. We're easygoing, so we can really take our time.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's great! Patience is the key to success. If you could wait 9-12 months for an anemone, the minimum is 6 months but I prefer the 12 months to make sure the water params are stable.

Um for your T-5 fixture what is the brand/wattage? 36'' T-5's are 39 watts each. How many bulbs do you have?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #7

It is a coralife 36" There is one 21 watt 10000k daylight and one 21 watt true actinic 03 Blue. I really don't know alot about this, so I'm always wonding if I'm being had, although the guy seems genuine enough. I want to support the local guy, but at the same time it seems as I can save alot of money online.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Lance about adding all the LR now. Now would be a good time to put down a lot of BASE rock which will eventually (3-6 months) become LR. Check out Reef Rock from ThatFishPlace.com for an example.

Most anemones need a lot of light to survive. Clowns do not need one, but try to tell that to a 3 year old <g>. Supporting the local guy is always a nice idea, but once you check the online prices it's hard to do. Keep reading and coming back here to ask advice.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #9

Exactly! I'm finding the light I just purchased for about half online. Take shipping into account, and I'd still save alot. Live rock is 10/lb here. I want to support him cause he's our main source of info, but I don't want to go borke doing it. The flip side of that is no matter what I buy, someone tells me I should have spent more money. I understand getting what you pay for, but I have financial limits too...... lol
Old 10-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome! I also have a 46g bowfront which started out because our 5-year old at the time wanted a goldfish. (Deep down, Mom & Dad wanted a SW tank for ages, and finally had justification!) And actually... telling the 5-year old "no anemone" was quite easy! She loves her Nemo!

Anyways... I just want to also chime in on adding all the live rock all at once in the beginning. There's nothing easy about getting 60-80 lbs of rock all at once and trying to figure out how to arrange it. But at least you have it all there, and can arrange... rearrange... and rearrange yet again until you have it the way you want it. Doing it a little at a time seems like it'd make it really hard to put together a decent aquascape. Plus... unless it's ALL fully cured, you risk introducing another cycle each time you add any amount of rock. And if you have livestock in the tank, that's not a good thing.

If you haven't picked them up yet, two good books are Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium" and Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". Must have's, in my book. And before you go out and get your first coral, pick up Borneman's book on Corals. (Can't remember the title right now.) Great info on tons of different corals, as well as great info on how to keep them happy.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com