Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Just what I needed...montipora eating nudibranchs

Well everything has seemed to level out after my move and now the next problem.....montipora eating nuid's. I've noticed a couple small bare spots on a couple of my caps and on my superman danae. Last night I examined the tank after lights out and found them all over these corals as well as three of my other encrusting monti's. I think I'm really screwed here becaue I can't find any information on availible dips that actually work. I guess I have to get my tooth brush out and scrub them down everything night/morning for who knows how long until they are gone ....unless somebody can save me with a miracle cure 8O

Old 04-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
....unless somebody can save me with a miracle cure
I'll give this a bump for you...fingers crossed.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, unless somebody has some miracle cure I offically give up this time. I"m done w/ this hobby and plan on selling everything. I just spend over an hour scrubbing over 30 various monti's, acro's, aand even zoo's that have these nudi's on them. I jsut cannot spend this time everything day for who know...weeks, months to get rid of these things. This is just the final ordeal with this hobby...I just can't take it anymore, problem after problem after problem.

So I guess far well to everyone and I'll be posting some for sale items very soon.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Sorry to hear that Chris.
If you are seriously looking to get rid of some stuff let me know. We aren't that far from each other and maybe we can hook up and make some deals.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you check with your lfs? Maybe they can give you some advice about it. I hate to see anyone who has invested such time and money leave the hobby.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Before I discarded my tank I'd take the corals out (even throw them away) and wait for them to starve out. Gotta happen eventually, right? I can't imagine going fishless... No ideas yet, huh? I've been following the RC thread too, hoping that someone would have an answer for you. Have you tried Dr. Ron over there? If anyone is going to know he would... I'd think. Him or the guy in the coral forum (lol. I just can't remember his name right now, even though I should be able to)?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ask your LR guy to keep your coral until they get starved out. Mine would do that for me.

Rachel

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
but if some one else get the monipora from his tank they are going to bring that nudibranch with it. they are goign to have to eat all the food then die before he can start adding more montipora. and any one getting any thing from the tank will prolly have the smae proble he is haveing untill they all die.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know this is going to sound crazy, but this is how I got rid of some Zoa eating Nudis.......... I had a serious outbreak of those things.

I dosed my system to near death with calcium, and invert food. the PH dropped to aroung 7.5 and the nitrates soared to 200ppm.

I left the tank that way for about a month and did absolutely nothing to it except crush and nudi I saw.

During the month that I left my tank that way everything looked like it was struggling pretty bad, nothing opened up fully ever really and a lot of things looked as if they were dying. eventually, I added some maco and did a couple 50% water changes and the ph and Nitrates evened out.......... I have been Nudi free for about 2 months now. None of my corals died I have LPS, 1 SPS, and softies.

The way I looked at it was like this:
the Nudis that people buy are super hard to keep and die almost all the time. If that were the case then more than likely they aren't going to like horrible water quality. I found out that they don't.

I'm not reccomending you do the same thing that I did and I am not even expecting to not get flamed for the way I got rid of them, but that's how I did it.

Take from it what you want, I'm sure you can figure out a way to get rid of them.

Good Luck!~
Old 04-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

From what I've been reading lugol's (crossfinger) have some effect on them. A few have suggested to mix up sw so it's real red and dip the monti's in that.

I can move them to another tank I guess but I still have to get them and their eggs of the corals. The other concern is that I remove everything they are eating...and that's the hard part because I've found them on vairous other corals.

Tags
branch, eat, eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com