Just wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not actually gonna get a Saltwater Tank right now but I'm wondering what you need to run a Saltwater tank with Yellow Tang fish.

Larger tank the better with tangs minimum 75 gal for a yellow tang even better would be a 90 gal
you will want a protien Skimmer for a large tank and a good filter system
The rest depends on if you want fish only or a reef tank

eduguy said:
I'm not actually gonna get a Saltwater Tank right now but I'm wondering what you need to run a Saltwater tank with Yellow Tang fish.

Don't wanna come off rude an please if I do I sincerely apologize.

With that said....

There's ALOT to learn about saltwater tanks ALOT ALOT of research needs to be done and ALOT of questions to asked and then answered.

You'll need a large tank for a tang. And of course bigger is better. More room for error. So again there's ALOT going on, you just need to take a deep breathe and do some reading.

I'd say for now, since your not getting one anytime soon. Search the forum, search the stickies, google will be your best friend. And if you have questions after that, the knowledgeable members here in the AA community will be more then willing to help out. Make sense?

I could write all night telling you what you need to set up a tank and different options and of course opinions will vary. So when your closer to getting on we'll be here to help.

I will leave you with this though. Just some food for thought.

It's not cheap, cheap way in SW doesn't fly IMO.

Your gonna need a good saltwater test kit and if you go reef then your gonna need a reed test kit as well. They sell kits in full then they sell separate kits.

You'll need a heater, power heads for flow, lights to support your corals. Live rock, and sand. It doesn't have to live sand.

Your gonna need a refractometer to test salinity don't go cheap and get a hydrometer, there in accurate.

Your gonna need a filter also.

Also of making your own salt you'll need a RO/DI unit. You can't use tap water.

That's not even the tip of the ice berg but should get your wheels spinning.

I've attached some links also.

Good luck,

The Con

http://www.thereeftank.com/blog/setting-up-your-saltwater-aquarium/

Saltwater Aquarium Setup

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rhf/index.php

Here's a video of my Bio Cube 29. It's a all in one tank that's been modded. It's a good tank for beginners like I was. This tank is now a little over 9 months old.

Back
Top Bottom