K fellas started my cycle now i have a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
K i added my first batch of live rock to my tank, 17 pounds consisting of 3 good quality rocks. Now i just sit back and wait i know that part, but if someone can refresh my memory on what i need to do during cycling it will help me out a lot. first you see ur ammonia spike then your nitrite right? then not till they spike do you see nitrates? When should i do my firsty water change? should i still add pH buffer if my pH isn't right or just let it ride? also would it matter if put the rocks in front of a powerhead cause i built a nice cave and have the powerhead blowing through the cave. and another quick unrelated question... with my return spout should i have it pointed towards the surface to ripple the water or just have the spout pointing in the water with no rippling on the surface?

When should i do my firsty water change?
IMO, not until the cycle is complete and you see ammonia and nitrite at 0 for at least a week, then do a large water change.
should i still add pH buffer if my pH isn't right or just let it ride
Buffering can't hurt..so sure.
also would it matter if put the rocks in front of a powerhead cause i built a nice cave and have the powerhead blowing through the cave. and another quick unrelated question
Would not matter at all, in fact you should target areas of low flow with circulation.
with my return spout should i have it pointed towards the surface to ripple the water
Yes, a wonderful way to expedite gas exchange.

1) Ammonia
2) Wait
3) Cloudy Water
4) NitrIte
5) Wait some more
6) Diatoms
7) Wait for what feels like forever
8) NitrAte
9) Water Change
10) Clean up crew

The waiting will be the hardest part from here. Keep a log of your readings. It will help to answer questions should you have them later in your cycle.

Enjoy!

PH will adjust over time worry about that after your water change. Return rippling the water is a good thing (should raise your ph) especially if you have a glass top. I wouldn't have the rocks in front of the power head, but if the flow is coming through them that should be ok.

You may or may not see an ammo spike without seeding the tank with a raw shrimp.

If cycleing with LR and with critter aboard, I would advocate a 'little" buffering to help give the system a jump start in the right direstion.....only if needed.
Test water parameters every day. They will dictate your direction.

yea i have been keeping a log since day 1 and have been taking pictures of my progress... right now everything seems to me alright. now let me ask you another question. After this gets done cycling what would be the limit of rock that i could add next without messing with my parameters. would 50 lbs be ok or is that too much? I would like to add about 50 more lbs of live rock to the 16 i have now then add like 50lbs of base rock.

50 lbs would be great, it will seed the base rock in no time.
Just remember that if you add uncured rock at a later date, you will throw the tank back into a cycle. In the even that you then have livestock, you would need to cure it in a separate container before adding it to you main.

yea i will be getting 50lbs cured rock and then 50lbs base rock. i just didn't know if cured rock in larger amounts would also make my tank cycle out again.

have another question.. how long should i leave my lights on? i just have NO flourescents now but will upgrade to 4x96w pc's in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom