Kalkwasser, What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this "Kalkewasser" stuff I hear people talking about? I don't use it at all -- should I be??

Todd

I have split the topic for you and moved it to give you better exposure and possibley some more answers to your question.

Simpley put, kalkwasser is a Greman term that describes a carbonate and bi-carbonate solution of limewater or calcium hydroxide.

It helps replenish calcium and maintain alkalinity in the water, It is not a means to raise levels but simply maintain them.

>>Here<< is a decent article that will explain in more detail.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
I have split the topic for you and moved it to give you better exposure and possibley some more answers to your question.

Simpley put, kalkwasser is a Greman term that describes a carbonate and bi-carbonate solution of limewater or calcium hydroxide.

It helps replenish calcium and maintain alkalinity in the water, It is not a means to raise levels but simply maintain them.

>>Here<< is a decent article that will explain in more detail.

Cheers
Steve

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much -

Todd

You can also safe a TON of money by getting it from your grocery store. They sell it as "pickling lime". I get Mrs Wages pickling lime it comes in 1 lb bags and costs like $1.00/lb vs the LFS selling very near the exact same stuff for many more $ per lb.

did I read that right? dont use regular tap water for make up water? what happens if you do? I cant afford all that purified water :|

I personally use RO water from my RO unit. Some people use tap water with good results. Others have bad results because their water leaves very much to be desired.

IF your on city water then you need to condition it with declornator first.

I think you will find many RO units are rather afordable. Look at it as an investment in not only your ability ot make quatlity water for your evaporation, water changes you can also use for your drinking water.

Everyone who visits prases how well my water is.

praises. not being mean but it took me three times to figure out what that sentence said, just cuz it was missing one letter. Just trying to help out slow people like myself.

Butters said:
did I read that right? dont use regular tap water for make up water? what happens if you do? I cant afford all that purified water :|

You should also check with the cities waterworks dept. There should be a published report of what your drinking water contains. Most times it can be found on their internet site.

That will at least tell you what's going in the tank and possible problems that could arise.... :?

Cheers
Steve

Mg Ca Na K Mg
Rochester NY 6.48 25.78 4.30 5.73
ive tested the nitrates too and they are 0
this is all i could find on our water

since I dont pay utilities I have no idea who the company is :oops:

Back
Top Bottom