Keedee's First Salt-Water Setup (55g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I went to the lfs today and just checked out their marine selection to get some ideas for what exactly I want to stock the tank with eventually.

Also tested the 100w heater that came free with the tank and it words well (though it needs a bit of scrubbing still).

Scrubbed off all the dried on algae and dust from the tank (though I think it still needs another cleaning). Also checked and the whole thing is tempered glass so I suppose its hob overflow for me.

Also looked into stands. I thought about building one but I don't trust myself to build on study enough or nice enough looking (since this tank is pretty much going to be a centre piece in our living room). Found a nice one for around 100$ at the lfs but I'm going to keep looking.

Also going to try and look into building (or start building) a sump on Sunday. Not sure how big I should do it. I have a 10g and maybe a 20g I could spare, or look into getting something more like a 25 or 30g?

So, I went to the lfs today and just checked out their marine selection to get some ideas for what exactly I want to stock the tank with eventually.

Also tested the 100w heater that came free with the tank and it words well (though it needs a bit of scrubbing still).

Scrubbed off all the dried on algae and dust from the tank (though I think it still needs another cleaning). Also checked and the whole thing is tempered glass so I suppose its hob overflow for me.

Also looked into stands. I thought about building one but I don't trust myself to build on study enough or nice enough looking (since this tank is pretty much going to be a centre piece in our living room). Found a nice one for around 100$ at the lfs but I'm going to keep looking.

Also going to try and look into building (or start building) a sump on Sunday. Not sure how big I should do it. I have a 10g and maybe a 20g I could spare, or look into getting something more like a 25 or 30g?

Sounds like you had an exceptional day !!!! I'm fairly good with the tools so I opted to build my own. It wasn't too difficult and didn't take too much time or $$, but I can understand what your saying. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411786482.429226.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411786510.352043.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411786541.688671.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411786574.107605.jpg

As far as the sump, I would think a 20 would work well. Don't take my word for as somebody may have a better idea. Also the footprint on the 30b is 6" wider than a 55g. Keep in mind that the Petco $1/gal sale is (hint hint) right around the corner depending on your area. Continue to keep us posted and good luck !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

So we've been thinking about re-doing our floors sometime soon and thinking about it, it'd probably be a better idea to postpone the tank until at least after that gets installed. So until that happens there probably be won't be much progress. Once that's done thought I'll return to this thread and continue with updates on how it's going. The upside is that this gives me lots more time to research and read the saltwater aquarium books I have.

Back
Top Bottom