Keeping pre-mixed saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walkerrobin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I am currently cycling and have been for 1 month, as yet I have not done a PWC.

I will be getting my salt water pre-mixed from the fish store, my question is how long can i keep the bought water and what is the best way to store it for PWC. It is currently in a plastic container and has been there for 4 weeks.

Thanks!

R

as long as its sealed you can keep it as long as you want, just agitate it so the salt doesn't settle

i premix my water a month before hand and just keep it in a rubbermain container with a power head and heater.

Thanks. I wont have a heater and power head in mine - will that matter?

the heater will make it much safer when you do a waterchange to keep the tank tem and fresh water the same temp. less stress on your fish.

the power head helps mix the salt so you don't have to stir it to get it to disolve, it is basically less effort on your part, just add salt to the water and let the powerhead stir it up and come back the next morning and test the water for salinity

I got you, i could just put a heater in before the watwer change to ensure the temp is corrected before the PWC - cheers.

Back
Top Bottom