Keith's Frag Tank / Coral Propagation Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I want to start a coral propagation frag tank room in my spare bedroom. This will be a slow build and I'm going to ask a lot of members a lot of questions hopefully I'll get some advice. I just picked up my tank today it's 72" x 36" x 16" and it has dividers. Does anyone think I should keep all the dividers I was considering removing them and only have a half a tank divided down the center. Any suggestions on buffing out acrylic would be greatly appreciated I watch a lot of videos but have never done it on a large scale. I am looking forward to this build and I look forward anybody's help or suggestions thanks all.

Attachments

• image-4171239897.jpg
    image-4171239897.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 406
  • image-3502094399.jpg
    image-3502094399.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 430
  • image-1131034934.jpg
    image-1131034934.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 430
  • image-2012886805.jpg
    image-2012886805.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 415
  • image-4243873904.jpg
    image-4243873904.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
hmmm. interesting tank. the dividers may come in handy to allow for different flow for each section depending on the corals requirements. as far as suggestions go i would highly recommend LED lighting if you have not already considered it. if you picked up a bunch of the taotronic style dimable units you could place them and adjust them as needed for each type of coral. this should be an interesting build. i look forward to updates.

hmmm. interesting tank. the dividers may come in handy to allow for different flow for each section depending on the corals requirements. as far as suggestions go i would highly recommend LED lighting if you have not already considered it. if you picked up a bunch of the taotronic style dimable units you could place them and adjust them as needed for each type of coral. this should be an interesting build. i look forward to updates.

Yeah I'm def going LED. I am considering paying for the AI Sol Blues just because I have them on my DT and I could set them at the exact intensity so when I cut the mother colonies there wouldn't be as much light shock. Idk.

The deviders look like something for fish,

Are they siliconed in?
If they are leave them, if they aren't take them out.

The deviders look like something for fish,

Are they siliconed in?
If they are leave them, if they aren't take them out.

Yeah they are for fish and they are not siliconed. I can either cut them out or drill more holes for flow.

Just picked up new bulkheads and will start stand design next.

Personally I would pull out all the dividers and repurpose them into frag racks and such. I can always find uses for extra acrylic haha.

Personally I would pull out all the dividers and repurpose them into frag racks and such. I can always find uses for extra acrylic haha.

I believe I will cut the dividers out and just leave the center lengthwise one in place.

Only thing that would concern me with that is if this is a frag tank then there will be a lot of "obstructions" in the way on the sand bed/floor with all your frags so you want very good flow with 0 deadspots which without adding extra circulation pumps to it then I think you would see around the divider. Long story short probably be more cost effective to remove it then leaving it in.

Only thing that would concern me with that is if this is a frag tank then there will be a lot of "obstructions" in the way on the sand bed/floor with all your frags so you want very good flow with 0 deadspots which without adding extra circulation pumps to it then I think you would see around the divider. Long story short probably be more cost effective to remove it then leaving it in.

Yeah I'm going for a bare bottom tank but I agree about the flow. That's why I'm leaning towards removing the side dividers and either leaving the center alone or perforating it.

It looks like removing the middle one might mess with the structural integrity, maybe if you just cut it down a bit?

It looks like removing the middle one might mess with the structural integrity, maybe if you just cut it down a bit?

Uh oh! Too late. Removed dividers to with 1/2" - 1" of bottom and left couple inches on sides. Took out all including the center. Filling now to test.

Attachments

• image-4209146767.jpg
    image-4209146767.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 340
  • image-4052720170.jpg
    image-4052720170.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 360
Okay got my old 125 out and leak tested. Planning in making this a sump.

Attachments

• image-4158043108.jpg
    image-4158043108.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 335
I like your style! Yeah maybe softies or I was also thinking of a live rock curing area.

This was sorta one of my plans, plumb a 100+ gallon stock tub for "growing" LR once the system was stable again that way I can offer local reefers and soon to be reefers a new and much cheaper source for LR maybe $.50 to a $1 more then the base rock ($2) instead of $12.99 lol

You won't be able to cure live rock. It would be putting off nitrates and other unstable parameters. You would be able to cultivate live rock from dead rock though.

You won't be able to cure live rock. It would be putting off nitrates and other unstable parameters. You would be able to cultivate live rock from dead rock though.

Yeah better said. That's what I was meaning. Add dry rock and make it live. Of course that's after adding already cured LR from my DT during the initial cycling.

So picked up the lumber to frame up the stand. Unfortunately between mowing the lawns, cutting down two trees, and picking up 157 decorative mortar blocks, I won't be framing tomorrow. Wife's got me tied up putting in the blocks around the perimeter of my lawn and roses lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom