Kent Marine BioRocker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cweaks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I did a search of all forums on this, but did not get a hit. My LFS is telling me that the Kent Marie BioRocker (http://www.kentmarine.com/br.html) is the best thing since sliced bread. (Ever wonder what was before sliced bread?) :lol: I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.
Thanks, [/url]

I dont want to sound like I am cynical or anything but I have to wonder how much of a markup or kickback the guy at the LFS has on these things.

From the kent site the filter appears to be nothing more than a glorified wet/dry filter. For a fish only tank wet/drys are great. For a reef there is some debate as to how desirable they are since they usually harbor nitrates.

Basically, that's all that it is. It just provides a ton more surface area than the more common "blue balls" wet/dry. In addition to the rocker you see at the website, there is a mechanical filter that the water flows into first, then there is another big block of the same "Cell-Pore" material beneath what the site shows actually lying on the bottom of the sump. As per the information on the website:

"When the filter is properly sized to the aquarium, the biofiltration media in the rocking filter element creates a starved biofilm condition as opposed to overcrowded biofilm. As a result, systems using the BioRocker have been shown to be free of toxic ammonia and nitrite, and also show a reduced level of organics and algae; a denitrator slab may be added to decrease the concentration of nitrate in the system. "

I am quite sure that there is a substanial markup, just as there is anything marked "tropical fish". It reminds me of the time I purchased a "photographic lens brush" for $10 in a photo supply store. A few days later I saw the exact same brush, made by the exact same maufacturer and it was $2.49. The only difference? It was at Eckerd's Drug Store and it was called a "make-up" brush. :( They see us coming a mile away!
Thanks for the reply,

Back
Top Bottom