Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to LIMentality420 Send a message via Yahoo to LIMentality420
KENT Pro Buffer dkH ????

What does KENT Pro Buffer dkH do ?

0.1 Flying Gecko
LIMentality420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
steve-s

Increases alkalinity and help control pH.

http://kentmarine.com/saltwater/pb.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to LIMentality420 Send a message via Yahoo to LIMentality420
Thanks. I got the KENT Marine Starter Kit.
0.1 Flying Gecko
Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The alkalinity is a measure of the buffering capcity. It is what stabilizes the ph.
If your tank is poorly buffered(has a low alkalinity as measured by the Kh kit) then if something dies the ph can change suddenly and sharply. THe buffer helps attenuate that change.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMentality420
Thanks. I got the KENT Marine Starter Kit.
Be very wary when using additives. The best rule to follow is never add anything until it's been tested first and never add something you can't test for in the first place.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Ph now is 8.6 during cycling. So if it doesn't go down after cycling should I add a little Pro Buffer ?
0.1 Flying Gecko
Old 04-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
steve-s

No, buffer will increase the pH or least temporarily spike it. The pH of the water is relative to the time of day tested and possible organics/CO2 working against it or O2 working with it. If your pH is high early in the day, a water change will normally fix any chemistry imbalances. If the pH is higher later in the evening, it's not normally something to be concerned about. Algaes in the system are producing O2 and aiding the rise in pH. Conversley, at night (no light) the same algaes are producing CO2 working against the pH so there is a natural rise/fall throughout the day and night. What your looking for is an average. Best tested at some point midway through the tanks photoperiod. You can do a series of tests (morning/midday/evening) to see what I mean.

The best use for the buffer you have is for low alkalinity, not pH problems. If alkalinity (balanced with Ca) is in the right range, pH issues will most commonly be environmental in nature, not chemical.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/chem.htm

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks...
0.1 Flying Gecko
Old 04-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
i use that stuff its inexpensive for a lot of it and it works really good

Tags
buffer, dkh

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com