KENT Pro Buffer dkH ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The alkalinity is a measure of the buffering capcity. It is what stabilizes the ph.
If your tank is poorly buffered(has a low alkalinity as measured by the Kh kit) then if something dies the ph can change suddenly and sharply. THe buffer helps attenuate that change.

LIMentality420 said:
Thanks. I got the KENT Marine Starter Kit.
Be very wary when using additives. The best rule to follow is never add anything until it's been tested first and never add something you can't test for in the first place.

Cheers
Steve

My Ph now is 8.6 during cycling. So if it doesn't go down after cycling should I add a little Pro Buffer ?

No, buffer will increase the pH or least temporarily spike it. The pH of the water is relative to the time of day tested and possible organics/CO2 working against it or O2 working with it. If your pH is high early in the day, a water change will normally fix any chemistry imbalances. If the pH is higher later in the evening, it's not normally something to be concerned about. Algaes in the system are producing O2 and aiding the rise in pH. Conversley, at night (no light) the same algaes are producing CO2 working against the pH so there is a natural rise/fall throughout the day and night. What your looking for is an average. Best tested at some point midway through the tanks photoperiod. You can do a series of tests (morning/midday/evening) to see what I mean.

The best use for the buffer you have is for low alkalinity, not pH problems. If alkalinity (balanced with Ca) is in the right range, pH issues will most commonly be environmental in nature, not chemical.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/chem.htm

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom