Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ok, I read it. He is right and wrong. Yes, they are cheap chinese LEDs. That is why we point people in that direction since they save you money! But he rambled on that they can't be good because it uses a fan. These are his only 2 issues with them. He even admitted that they work, just by a "shotgun" approach.

So, summed up. They work, just with older, cheaper technology. As new tech advances, it makes the older stuff cheaper. It is why my dad has a cell phone now. How dare cell phone companies sell flip phones and not all droids! Saving a non-tech savy man money for stuff he doesn't need, how dare they! But, that is just using that guy's logic.

As for the fans...my Ecotech Radions have fans on them.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you think they emit all the right lighting spectrums? I'm not at all bagging on them. I guess I want to find out how long they last. I figured that I would need two of the 120W @ $190.00 (roughly) each or two of the kessel @ $275.00 each. I could save $170. (rough estimate) but my concerns are A) there's no U.S. presence if something went wrong so returning or finding customer service is going to pose an issue as all they have is an email address ( that sends a red flag up)...B) I would like to find someone who has had them for more than a year or even two to see if their corals thrived and did well, stayed the same, or declined over time.

Yes...I know...I tend to over think stuff. I want to know the same info regarding corals with any lights I'm considering though. My biggest fear is that I drop $400-$500 on lights that don't do what I want them to do. I would love to know the mark up on these things!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I hear you. I'm just saying that write up is bogus. If you like the kessels cuz of that, pull the trigger imo. But the taotronics havent had the dimmable ones out for a year so you won't find those reviews.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sold on anything yet to be honest. I'm just checking it out. I am looking for a track record right now to go off of. I've not heard anything bad about them though.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've only had my non dimmable tao light for a few months and so far it is working well. It is an intense amount of light though so I would for sure recommend looking at the dimmable version. I have burned up a few corals with the new led panel, even with corals on the sandbed. :-( I have a single unit over a 24 x 24 inch cube tank and I get fantastic coverage.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nikki- unless you go with a truly worthless led setup, they will make your corals explode with color at work we have 6x 120w ecorays on our 400g reef setup and itll not only house, but grow, any high level coral you can name.. Even placed down on the sand. (yes they are a powerful brand but its a huge tank) what id look for is the wattage on the individual leds themselves..most setups run 3 or 5 watt leds.. (may even be some higher) any fixture you see running 1w leds is an older tech thats only 1/3 or 1/5 as powerful as an equivalent new tech fixture

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com