Kessil Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone on here have a A350W on their reef tank? I have a 56 gallon tank and emailed them to ask what they would recommend and this is what they told me would be good. In addition, I was wondering where the best place to purchase it would be. Please advise. Thank you!

Id run 2 on your 55 just to give you fukl use of your whole tank. Dont think a single a350w will cover side to side

I dont see how it could either. These are supposed to be ALOT stronger than their other ones but still...at $400+ each (can't seem to find them cheaper than that) my luck would be that I got it and needed another! Not to sound cheap here, but I really don't want to spend $800.00 on reef lighting for a 56 gallon tank! At that point I would just stick to FOWLR.

I mean dont get me wrong, im sure itll be strong enough for a bigger portion of your tank, but out towards the edges are gonna be iffy.. If your ok with sticking the high-light corals in the center and then the lower lights towards the outside, youd be ok. IMO if your spending 400 on a single kessil, go the rapidled route, build up a 6x20 heatsink packed full of leds, and call it a day.. Heck rapidled will even print you instructions on how to wire them (its so easy its not funny) and even if that scares you, go solderless.. Its plug and play

Yeah, I do ok with a corner 55 with 1 kessil, but if I had a rectangular 55, I'd go with 2. Sorry, I know that not what u wanted to read. Lol

I looked at the taotronics. I'm just nervous about buying something that has no customer service number available if there were an issue. I read some positive things that users posted and saw some stuff on YouTube as well. Do you know of anyone who has had them for a year or more?

If I went with kessel I would go with two lights most definitely. I don't want dark corners.

I was seriously looking at them but this article I came across when looking up reviews kind of scared me a little. Now keep in mind that half the crap he's talking about, I have not a shred of a clue what it means. That's when I looked into other options. I'm not saying he's right since I have no clue but I always note any issues or negative reviews on a product and take it into consideration.

http://aquariumopinions.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/taotronics-skyled-led-light-reviews/

Ok, I read it. He is right and wrong. Yes, they are cheap chinese LEDs. That is why we point people in that direction since they save you money! But he rambled on that they can't be good because it uses a fan. These are his only 2 issues with them. He even admitted that they work, just by a "shotgun" approach.

So, summed up. They work, just with older, cheaper technology. As new tech advances, it makes the older stuff cheaper. It is why my dad has a cell phone now. How dare cell phone companies sell flip phones and not all droids! Saving a non-tech savy man money for stuff he doesn't need, how dare they! But, that is just using that guy's logic.

As for the fans...my Ecotech Radions have fans on them.

Do you think they emit all the right lighting spectrums? I'm not at all bagging on them. I guess I want to find out how long they last. I figured that I would need two of the 120W @ $190.00 (roughly) each or two of the kessel @ $275.00 each. I could save $170. (rough estimate) but my concerns are A) there's no U.S. presence if something went wrong so returning or finding customer service is going to pose an issue as all they have is an email address ( that sends a red flag up)...B) I would like to find someone who has had them for more than a year or even two to see if their corals thrived and did well, stayed the same, or declined over time.

Yes...I know...I tend to over think stuff. I want to know the same info regarding corals with any lights I'm considering though. My biggest fear is that I drop $400-$500 on lights that don't do what I want them to do. I would love to know the mark up on these things!

I hear you. I'm just saying that write up is bogus. If you like the kessels cuz of that, pull the trigger imo. But the taotronics havent had the dimmable ones out for a year so you won't find those reviews.

I'm not sold on anything yet to be honest. I'm just checking it out. I am looking for a track record right now to go off of. I've not heard anything bad about them though.

I've only had my non dimmable tao light for a few months and so far it is working well. :) It is an intense amount of light though so I would for sure recommend looking at the dimmable version. I have burned up a few corals with the new led panel, even with corals on the sandbed. :-( I have a single unit over a 24 x 24 inch cube tank and I get fantastic coverage.

Nikki- unless you go with a truly worthless led setup, they will make your corals explode with color:) at work we have 6x 120w ecorays on our 400g reef setup and itll not only house, but grow, any high level coral you can name.. Even placed down on the sand. (yes they are a powerful brand but its a huge tank) what id look for is the wattage on the individual leds themselves..most setups run 3 or 5 watt leds.. (may even be some higher) any fixture you see running 1w leds is an older tech thats only 1/3 or 1/5 as powerful as an equivalent new tech fixture

Back
Top Bottom