Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2005, 02:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
In my opinion, I like fiji rock better
I'd have to agree according to all the pics I've seen.I've never saw florida aquacultured in person though. Fiji rock seems to be less "boulder" like, and more interestingly shaped IME, especially aquacultured fiji. I can usually point out Florida aquacultured. (I'm not saying it's ugly) Everyone's taste is different, be sure to look at pics of both types of rock in peoples tanks before you decide. As for all the hitchhikers being a blast, if you can't keep them you may have to kill/flush them depending on whether you have a LFS that wants them or not. That's not a blast IMO.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with thumper. My fiji from a LFS (8 months ago) is just barely even in color with the LR i got from LR.com. I saw his pictures and the corals that came with both of ours are really cool. I know there are some crabs in the rock that I could not pick out, but they may come out eventually.

In the 30 pound order, no aiptasia. I got more than that from the lfs! They pick all the cool hitchers off and leave you with almost nothing , except the aiptasia.

Actually, one of my LFS keeps the rock in the shipping boxes for you to buy it. Sometimes weeks! What is alive then?

After working in retail for a long time, I know that a last ditch effort in sales is honesty. The salesman is allowing you to see that he is a human trying to make a few dollars to put food on his table. And he almost talked you into buying inferior rock!!

No question, go back to the LFS and buy chemicals, salt, and filter media. Get the LR from lr.com!

Old 02-09-2005, 02:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Buy the way, if I can take a picture tomorrow, I'll post it and I'll bet you can't tell which rocks are fiji and which are keys! Except the Keys probably has better coralline!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Except the Keys probably has better coralline!
I had no problem w/ coralline myself, all the rocks were covered.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Much of the Aquacultured keys rock looks just like what it is. "fake rock" But the Rock from LiveRocks.com is different. It looks beautiful and it is full of life! Crabs, shrimps, starfish, tons of coraline, featherdusters, spaghetti worms, etc. All can be found on Keys rock from Liverocks.com

True, some of the crabs are "bad guys" but they can be removed. (which I have been doing.) But some are not bad guys at all and It's fun to watch them do their little thing in the tank. and the "Loud popping things" are pistol shrimp which are really pretty darn cool!

Many people swear that Fiji Rock has better Coraline, but I am not so sure. Mine came with a TON of coraline and now its starting to spread like wild fire. (by the way, coraline is good stuff.)

check out my gallery to see just how good Live Rock from Liverocks.com can look!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Time for me to chime in. As aquarists who love this hobby, I feel we have the responsibility to conserve the natural reef. Buy acu-cultured whenever possible. I started my tank with Fiji LR. It looks nice, great shape and coraline growth. I filled the rest in with acu-cultured rock, Keys/Gulf from liverocks.com and "Carribean" (identical to the Keys) from the LFS. The acu-cultured LR has much more color on it. If I were starting a new tank today I would go with a bunch of LR from liverocks.com. Do not worry about the hitchikers, they are half the fun. While you can get same aips, mantis, and bad crabs you can also get good things like reef crabs, pistol shrimp, snails and stars.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Lando beat me to the next point. Well put and I think overrides most other arguments.
Quote:
As for all the hitchhikers being a blast, if you can't keep them you may have to kill/flush them depending on whether you have a LFS that wants them or not. That's not a blast IMO.
Have not flushed a thing. There are more than enough takers for Mantis and unwanted crabs can be a tasty treat for triggers and puffers at the LFS. Way more good hitchhikers than bad.
Don't get me wrong I do like my Fiji rock, but its was more expensive and contained not nearly the life that the auquacultured rock had.
Coraline was no contest (for me) Keys/Gulf rock by a landslide.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I would also like to add my 2 cents about reef conservation and I would also highly reccommend not buying non-aquacultured rock because of the potential of harm to our natural reefs.

I try to only buy aqua-cultured and Tank-Raised everything (FW and SW) when the options are available. It is our responsibilites as people who love the ocean to help promote responsible methods of livestock collection. (rock included.)
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lando, thank you for bringing up the point about conserving our natural reefs. Sorry for being so ignorant, but I didn't even think about that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, as I will make different decisions from this point forward. If we can all become more marine-conscious it will make it a better environment for us all to live in.

Thanks again.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll just add my $.02 to the discussion by also supporting aquacultured rock over any rock harvested from a natural reef. Removing rock from reefs was banned in the US (yes?) and should probably be banned elsewhere as well. (that' oversimplification as I understand that many earn their living from harvesting LR in Fiji and elsewhere...but we should all be concerned for the well being of coral reefs)

Aquacultured rock from LR.com is certainly good enough from an asthetic point of view and far superior from a life point of view.

I don't have any experience with aquacultured rock from other sources.

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com