Keys rock vs. Fiji rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishGuy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay....I know this may cause a bit of a ruckus, but here goes anyway.

I am planning a new SW tank. It will be a 90gal. I was in the local small lfs yesterday and was told some things that I really didn't like hearing. When I told my lfs guy that I was thinking of buying keys rock he told me to stop right there. He said he wouldn't be caught dead with keys rock in his tank. He said that what he sold was all Fiji rock.

Now here I am thinking that he is saying this to get me to drop $800-$1000 on HIS rock in HIS store, but that wasn't the case. He went on to tell me that while he sells it, and sells a lot of it, he couldn't compete with the prices on the internet. He said that if he were me, he would buy off the net too.

I explained that one of the things I liked about lr.com from what I've read on this site is all the hitchhikers that people seem to get. He says that that is a big problem with keys rock and gulf rock. That you never know what is going to come on the rock that you get. I had to do some fast talking with my wife to convince her that this was a good idea to begin with. She will through a fit if we get a bunch of pistol shrimp or other even louder friends in the boxes with the rocks. Not to metion Aptaisias.

What concerned me was that through all that, he ended by saying that when I buy off the net, make sure I get something other than Gulf or Keys rock.

Believe me I'm not trying to start anything with lr.com. It just worried me when the guy had nothing to gain by what he was saying and he still told me to stay away from keys and gulf rock.

Any comments?

I liked about lr.com from what I've read on this site is all the hitchhikers that people seem to get. He says that that is a big problem with keys rock and gulf rock. That you never know what is going to come on the rock that you get.
Thats part of the fun IMO. :)
What concerned me was that through all that, he ended by saying that when I buy off the net, make sure I get something other than Gulf or Keys rock.
IMO, he just wants to sell you rock. I have a good amount of both Fiji and Gulf/Keys rock. I will take the Gulf/Keys rock over the Fiji any day.
FWIW, I had the same discussion with my LFS. I don't blame them, they are in business to make money.

Yeah, but what about the fact that he made a point of basically telling me not to buy rock from him....to buy it off the net, but make sure it is Fiji?

I know some people are against aquacultured rock because it is less porous than fiji rock. Some people say that aquacultured rock is not as good for nitrification and denitrification because it is so dense. I have never had aquacultured rock so I do not know first hand. Any comments?

There a pros and cons from each type of rock; Fiji=color Marshall Island=weight and shape, bali=texture and shape... While I agree there are undesirables in the aquacultured rock, it can be dealt with. It is simply a matter of choice and what you wish as a desired look. IMO, the aquacultured has an overall pink hue and is heavy rock, but it is aquacultured (good thing) and is cheaper. Fiji is overall a rounder shape and generally smaller per stone, while safer yet more expensive. Look at some pictures and then decide.

Whether or not your LFS guy was trying to sell you something or giving harmless advice it is still his opinion and nothing more. You did the right thing by looking here for more opinions. Not that he is wrong, but so you can make an educated decision.

R-

i have both figi and am expecting my shipment from lr.com tomorrow. IMO, you get more life and neat things from LR.com that would normally die off when other folks ship them. It is so much more rewarding (IMO) when you have sponges, corals, tubeworms and other great stuff on your rock. This is what makes it really interesting. You can also take precautions to ensure that bad guys do not end up in your tank. I think one is a seltzerwater & saltwater dip. The little hitchickers run out of the rock. Do a search to find out more about this, but it will help. I like the figi rock, but expect to like the keys stuff much better. Check this forum tomorrow, I'll post my pics so you can see what it looks like. (I'm getting 20lbs for my nano and 15lbs of rubble for my sump).

It's your decision in the end, but i'd call lr.com and explain your concern. they will hand pick your rock and find some that will suit your needs............their customer service is top notch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jim

To start, they are both good LR. Keys rock will require some quarantining and observation. It will MOST likely contain some things you don't want or can't keep in a reef like crabs, mantis, etc. But, it may also have a few interesting things you can-that's the trade off. Fiji LR usually just needs time to cure and it's ready. Usually it will have mostly "goodies" like mini stars, pods, etc because of the way its cured before it leaves Fiji. Florida aquacultured will need time to cure, and will also need to be monitored for pests/predators. FWIW I'm thinking of getting some Keys rock just to see what I get when I open the box LOL. HTH

I personally like the aquacultured rock. It's what I have in my tank. Check my gallery for pics. Yes, you do get a few undesireables, but also, some really cool stuff too.

Half the fun is finding all the stuff that hitched a ride (for the most part).

I bought a piece of rock a few weeks back that was not aquacultured, and it is very...ugly. Also, if you get the right pieces, you can find some really nice, open, non dense aquacultured rocks.

Good luck.

In my opinion, I like fiji rock better. It seems to be more colorful and mine had about 3 different shades of coraline. I really like how porous it is. I also like the shapes better. Keys rock always seemed to be the same round shape, while the fiji was all sorts of different shapes with holes and ridges in it for things to hide. If you buy keys I would go with lr.com hands down. I got my fiji from the LFS so I can't give any advice on where to look online.

HTH

I have both Fiji, keys and gulf rock. If I had it to do all over agin I would have all keys and gulf due to the looks alone. It is personal oppinion but I bought close to 100 pounds at 8 bucks a pound of fiji and then 240 of lr.coms rock. Hands down the keys is better looking and the hitchikers are a blast to get, ya some may not be good but you can always get them out later. If you feel more comfortable buying local rock then do it but let me say this, I have had the fiji in my tank for close to 6 months and the rock out of the box from lr.com is 2000 percent better looking and has a ton of life on it. You need to do what feels right for you and not let anyone talk you into something else. This may not help you out a bit but if you only could see the real difference in person it would be a no brainer.
I'm actually going to take out the fiji and put in a seperate tank simply because it doesnt fit the look of the tank.
Plus on another note all together Mike at lr.com is the most friendly and helpful person I have ever bought from, you cant go wrong if you decide to go that route.I had a 10 pound rock with some extra die off on it due to a sponge and he is sending me another piece to replace it at his expense,thats customer service in my book.

In my opinion, I like fiji rock better
I'd have to agree according to all the pics I've seen.I've never saw florida aquacultured in person though. Fiji rock seems to be less "boulder" like, and more interestingly shaped IME, especially aquacultured fiji. I can usually point out Florida aquacultured. (I'm not saying it's ugly) Everyone's taste is different, be sure to look at pics of both types of rock in peoples tanks before you decide. As for all the hitchhikers being a blast, if you can't keep them you may have to kill/flush them depending on whether you have a LFS that wants them or not. That's not a blast IMO.

I agree with thumper. My fiji from a LFS (8 months ago) is just barely even in color with the LR i got from LR.com. I saw his pictures and the corals that came with both of ours are really cool. I know there are some crabs in the rock that I could not pick out, but they may come out eventually.

In the 30 pound order, no aiptasia. I got more than that from the lfs! They pick all the cool hitchers off and leave you with almost nothing , except the aiptasia.

Actually, one of my LFS keeps the rock in the shipping boxes for you to buy it. Sometimes weeks! What is alive then?

After working in retail for a long time, I know that a last ditch effort in sales is honesty. The salesman is allowing you to see that he is a human trying to make a few dollars to put food on his table. And he almost talked you into buying inferior rock!!

No question, go back to the LFS and buy chemicals, salt, and filter media. Get the LR from lr.com! :mrgreen:

Buy the way, if I can take a picture tomorrow, I'll post it and I'll bet you can't tell which rocks are fiji and which are keys! Except the Keys probably has better coralline!

Much of the Aquacultured keys rock looks just like what it is. "fake rock" But the Rock from LiveRocks.com is different. It looks beautiful and it is full of life! Crabs, shrimps, starfish, tons of coraline, featherdusters, spaghetti worms, etc. All can be found on Keys rock from Liverocks.com

True, some of the crabs are "bad guys" but they can be removed. (which I have been doing.) But some are not bad guys at all and It's fun to watch them do their little thing in the tank. and the "Loud popping things" are pistol shrimp which are really pretty darn cool!

Many people swear that Fiji Rock has better Coraline, but I am not so sure. Mine came with a TON of coraline and now its starting to spread like wild fire. (by the way, coraline is good stuff.)

check out my gallery to see just how good Live Rock from Liverocks.com can look!

Time for me to chime in. As aquarists who love this hobby, I feel we have the responsibility to conserve the natural reef. Buy acu-cultured whenever possible. I started my tank with Fiji LR. It looks nice, great shape and coraline growth. I filled the rest in with acu-cultured rock, Keys/Gulf from liverocks.com and "Carribean" (identical to the Keys) from the LFS. The acu-cultured LR has much more color on it. If I were starting a new tank today I would go with a bunch of LR from liverocks.com. Do not worry about the hitchikers, they are half the fun. While you can get same aips, mantis, and bad crabs you can also get good things like reef crabs, pistol shrimp, snails and stars.

Lando beat me to the next point. Well put and I think overrides most other arguments.
As for all the hitchhikers being a blast, if you can't keep them you may have to kill/flush them depending on whether you have a LFS that wants them or not. That's not a blast IMO.
Have not flushed a thing. There are more than enough takers for Mantis and unwanted crabs can be a tasty treat for triggers and puffers at the LFS. Way more good hitchhikers than bad.
Don't get me wrong I do like my Fiji rock, but its was more expensive and contained not nearly the life that the auquacultured rock had.
Coraline was no contest (for me) Keys/Gulf rock by a landslide.

I would also like to add my 2 cents about reef conservation and I would also highly reccommend not buying non-aquacultured rock because of the potential of harm to our natural reefs.

I try to only buy aqua-cultured and Tank-Raised everything (FW and SW) when the options are available. It is our responsibilites as people who love the ocean to help promote responsible methods of livestock collection. (rock included.)

Lando, thank you for bringing up the point about conserving our natural reefs. Sorry for being so ignorant, but I didn't even think about that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, as I will make different decisions from this point forward. If we can all become more marine-conscious it will make it a better environment for us all to live in.

Thanks again.
:wink:

I'll just add my $.02 to the discussion by also supporting aquacultured rock over any rock harvested from a natural reef. Removing rock from reefs was banned in the US (yes?) and should probably be banned elsewhere as well. (that' oversimplification as I understand that many earn their living from harvesting LR in Fiji and elsewhere...but we should all be concerned for the well being of coral reefs)

Aquacultured rock from LR.com is certainly good enough from an asthetic point of view and far superior from a life point of view.

I don't have any experience with aquacultured rock from other sources.

Back
Top Bottom