KH/Alk testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. Some of you know about my issues with PH and my Alk level. I bought a Alk test kit by Salifert. I am having issues getting the Alk test to work. I got my KH test to work and my testing with KH is between 9.9 and 10.9.... How do we turn those numbers into the Alk test readings if you know what I mean?

any ideas or help would work.

Thanks guys.....:)

What problem are you having with the Salifert kit? I think it's pretty straight forward. Using the syringe, put in the reagent until it turns from blue to red. Then turn the syringe upside down and read what's left. The instructions show the reading in dKH and meq/l based on what's left in the syringe. If you have nothing left in the syringe, your dKH is 16.

What problem are you having with the Salifert kit? I think it's pretty straight forward. Using the syringe, put in the reagent until it turns from blue to red. Then turn the syringe upside down and read what's left. The instructions show the reading in dKH and meq/l based on what's left in the syringe. If you have nothing left in the syringe, your dKH is 16.

Maybe I am just having a Hard time reading the syringe. it's 0,1 now is that the same as 0.1? I take it that it is?... Dumb question. :rolleyes:. Now one other thing I have and extra bottle for Alk Check Solution? What's the difference between that one and the KH bottle? Aren't they both the same? I take it when I use the KH bottle I am getting the same reading for KH and ALK reading? That's maybe what else I am confused about....

The syringe is marked in increments of 10. It ends at 0, then it's 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, 0.04, etc and then you see 0.1. Then it's 0.11, 0.12, 0.13 etc. If the end of the black tip of the syringe is at the 0.1 mark, your alk is 14.4 dKH or 5.14 meg/l. Way too high.

The Alk Check solution is a "calibration standard". Use it instead of water. It should test to 7 dKH.

Cool. Thanks man your a Big help I am trying to keep those readings in check I know there are more readings I need to check for coral growth. Just want to make sure those are in ok shape before I start adding them.

Back
Top Bottom