Kh- takes 16 drops to turn yellow!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep doing water changes until they are 0. You want the best start possible for livestock.

Ok sounds good, I'm gonna take 5 gallons out and see how it looks and if it isn't at 0 then I'll do another 5 tmro. Ammonia and nitrites still at 0!![emoji38]

Ok sounds good, I'm gonna take 5 gallons out and see how it looks and if it isn't at 0 then I'll do another 5 tmro. Ammonia and nitrites still at 0!![emoji38]

Look at it like this, changing half the water will drop the nitrates by half so 5g probably isn't going todo much

So today I did another 50% change and it went down to 5ppm, I had to stop by at the fish store anyway to get more macro and a pump and I was showing the guy my levels and he says it was good for fish!! I got 2 clownies and a pipe fish! They seem a little stressed atm but overall look good!!IMG_9050.jpgIMG_9051.jpgIMG_9048.jpg

Keep an eye on the levels. You should be fine but adding a lot of livestock at once can overwhelm the bacteria base. If it happens, water changes.
Pipefish are very slow. Make sure that it gets to eat as the clowns will easily take all of the food away from it due to their speed. This is why you normally only see pipefish in species only tanks or with seahorses.

Keep an eye on the levels. You should be fine but adding a lot of livestock at once can overwhelm the bacteria base. If it happens, water changes.
Pipefish are very slow. Make sure that it gets to eat as the clowns will easily take all of the food away from it due to their speed. This is why you normally only see pipefish in species only tanks or with seahorses.

Ok thanks for the info on the water. I checked the levels after I put them in the tank (ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5ppm) Yes I heard pipefish are slow, I am only keeping the clownfish in there for 3 weeks so I can get the hang of things since seahorses are sensitive. The pipefish is staying forever the clownies are moving out in a month. The clownfish keep sticking its head outside the water, is that normal?

I'd be looking at your powerhead. Is there a nice 'ripple' going on at the top? Sounds like poor CO2 exchange.

Not that much but that's because it's pointing down. The weird thing is is that the pipefish is doing perfectly fine, he's pretty active he's even eaten a some of the dragons breathe algae

IMG_9070.jpgIMG_9071.jpg

See the clownfish are at the top swimming while the pipefish is at the bottom

He's not eating the algae but the pods in the algae which is their main diet. Did you make sure he was eating prepared foods?

He's not eating the algae but the pods in the algae which is their main diet. Did you make sure he was eating prepared foods?

I put some brine shrimp in the tank earlier when I first put them in to see if they would take any but they didn't. The guy at the store said to not stress too much about it because they will be trying to adjust. I'm gonna feed them before school tmro I'll let u know if they eat anything

I'd be looking at your powerhead. Is there a nice 'ripple' going on at the top? Sounds like poor CO2 exchange.

I aimed it more towards the top and laying from my bed with the lights on but my phone flashlight and I can tell that there is a ripple at the top

This is the third time I have fed them and no one has taken anything besides this morning but one clownfish ate one small piece of brine shrimp. They chase after it them duck out like they are scared of it. They are swimming around a lot more like they aren't really at the top as much as they were yesterday.

Possibly acclimation stress, but also sounds like you are feeding a ton. Be careful not to foul up your water column with all that food going in there.

Ok I'll feed them less than I am now and see how they do

Image1490697406.892660.jpg

There definitely is some stress or something going on, they have been like that since last night

Today I came back from school and I tried to feed them (a lot less than usual) and they ate!! I don't know if it just took them that long to adjust but they seem to be doing gr8!! They no longer hang out at the top and stick their heads out. I wish I could post a video because I have one of them swimming around!Image1490747303.546401.jpgIMG_9103.JPGIMG_9104.JPG

How about that pipefish?

Very active, he swam away when I tried to give him food from the turkey baster bc when I squeezed it a bunch of water pushed in him. I was t expecting that to happen haha. I'm getting a 50ml syringe so it's easier for him to eat other than that perfectly fine. I checked the levels today and ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 5

Back
Top Bottom