kick-ich new product.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, I bought a bottle of kick ich solution which can be used even with corals/invert. Its brand is Ruby Reef.

The front cover:
kick-ich, for treatment of freshwater and marine ich. Safe for all fish, corals and invertebrates.

The back cover:
-Biodegradable.
-Safe for Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter and other bacteria essential to biofiltration.
-Easy to dose bottle.

Directions
For 15 day treatment

Beginning on day #1 add 2.0 ozs of kick-ich for 25 gallons of total water volume for the entire aquarium + filter system(s). Repeat on days #4, #7, #10, #13 whether or not spots continue to be visible. ( For heavy infections, repeat on days #3, #5, #7, #10, #13.) Persistent infections may require repeating the cycle. Do not use carbon or similar absorbent media during treatment (phosphate absorbents are OK). Protein skimmers can appreciably reduce effectiveness of the treatment. Safe for all fish (including scaleless fish), plants, corals and invertebrates. Will not affect biofilration.

Warnings
Safe when use in combinations with Rally, but not recommended for use with other treatments, chemicals or drugs. Not for human or animal use or consumption. For hobby aquarium fish only. Not for use in aquaculture or for the production of commodities for human or animal consumption.

Any one heard of this stuff?

I've heard of it and have heard it's usually pretty worthless. The only "real" ways to deal with problems such as ich are copper and hyposalinty.

I've tried it on a FO tank just to see how effective it was for an ick outbreak. Followed the directions to a tee for a heavy infection (which uses a lot, needed two 1 liter bottles @ $20 a pop) and it did nothing. Had to resort back to Cupramine (copper) on the 15th day.
Since it is one the very few products out there that claim to be reef safe, I still do have a bottle standing by just in case I ever need it for my reef tank. Even though it didn't help in my FO tank, it's better than nothing when the inevitable happens. Copper & hypo-salinity is a no-no for inverts.

According to the supplier, he says that this kick-ich product cannot be used to kill ich when its severly attached to the fishes, he says something about the coating of the ich parasites (I don't quite remember what he says), but its about the coating that would protect ich from chemicals, so this product can only kill free swimming, which don't have the coating. So its actually a way to prevent ich, just like UV sterilizers did.

mansiz said:
so this product can only kill free swimming, which don't have the coating. So its actually a way to prevent ich, just like UV sterilizers did.

Copper will not kill ick when it's attached to the fish either. UV and this product may help reduce the chance of an ick outbreak but I feel the only way to really prevent a problem in the display tank is with the use of a properly set up Q tank.

This product has been around for a while, with not very good results. It is believed to be some sort of pepper product that causes the fish to slough of their slime coat, and has caused negative reactions with fish and other livestock. IMO, there are much better ways to treat ICH (most notably preventing it in the first place with simple QT measures).

Back
Top Bottom