Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

killer on the loose.

i have a yellowtail damsel, orange spotted goby, royal gramma basslet, emerald crab and small hermits. i was having problems with my hermits getting eaten(even before addition of emerald crab) there are plenty of extra shells in the tanks for the hermits and im still having problems, could it be one of my fish?

Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not sure if any of your fish would eat the hermits or not, but it could be that the hermits are fighting over the shells they might not like the ones they have to pick from. I don't think it is the emerald crab, I have one and he stays hidden biggest part of the time in a rock.

Hopefuly someone with more expereince will come along and give you a better answer.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do u hear any clicking from your tank at any time. Sounds like u might have a mantis shrimp on ur hands. Those fish wouldn't kill or eat hermit crabs, but a mantis would.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

no i dont hear any clicking, occassionally a snail taps its shell against the glass. havent noticed any shrimp in tank, only hitch hikers ive seen are tube worms, and something similiar to a tube worm, but its bright red.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You may not notice a mantis shrimp in your tank (visually) if you had one. They are hard to spot. I had one in my tank (knew it from the popping noise) and didn't see him and catch him until 6 months later.

Another thing I'm thinking is that your hermits may be fighting over shells like the above post mentioned. Once you get a bunch of hermits in there and have a lot of empty shells, they'll stop fighting for shells and dying so fast if that's the reason.

Take a look at your dead hermits' shells...Are they busted open? If so, it could be a mantis I think.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I second the mantis shrimp... they are pain in the arse and you could go your aquiarum life with out seeing the little pain in the bum.

and getting them out isnt easy unless you are prepared to pull all your LR out.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would say, the hermits are growing and killing each other for their shells, if you don't hear the mantis "click". I believe the way to measure for appropriate growth size, is to look at the hole in the shell they are in and get a size a little bigger than that.
Other than that, what are your water parameters? Was the tank ever treated with a copper based medication?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

How can you see the mantis because some times at night if im by my tank I here clicking. I have moon lights but I still don't see anything.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hermit wars!! We had the same problem too!! We put a bunch of new shells in there for the little guys and they still just wanted their buddy's shells! We were able to pick thru the basket of shells at the lfs and got some larger sized ones and now theres no wars. They r just being picky!!

Profile fields:
California, Bay Area
My dogs and my tank!
Slave to the Family Business

AIM Screen Name: chantalethreeg@aol.c
chantale101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

UPDATE: all hermit crabs are now gone(killed), also woke up yesterday morning to my goby being dead, something attack him in the night.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com