Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by smithce79 View Post
I really dont know, I didnt pay much attention to the first ones, they just disappear in about 5 days, I found a polyp on the sand so I took it out and place it in the refugium and now its ok growing.
If the brittle stars are green they might be the cause. Im not certain but ive heard they will eat corals if they are the greens ones.

bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
The brittle stars are black and the other one brown, so I dont think they are the problem, but Its good to know about the green ones.

smithce79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Green brittle stars are a danger to fish if not well fed. Never heard of them hurting corals.
The second pic actually looks like a nudibranch to me, but that's outside my area of expertise so I offer no guarantees. That crab, though... WTF? I've never seen a crab like that before. Cool. Also the most likely culprit.
Go to live aquaria or some other site and look up saltwater crabs. Then filter down to "Reef Safe" only and see how few are left, if any. Then read the descriptions and you'll probably see a warning about them eating stuff we don't want them to.
Take the Emerald crab, for example. Marketed as a solution to Valonia (bubble( algae. Herbivore, reef safe.... except that every one I've ever had has eaten coral, and the net is drowning in similar stories.
Next, we cover the Porcelain anemone crab. Nifty little guy. Almost defenseless, they hide in an anemone or LPS coral. Mine hid in a torch coral. They are filter feeders, with two fan like structures they hold out in the current. But I watched mine put those away and try to cut the tail off a Nassarius snail on numerous occasions.
Bottom line, even reef safe crabs are not reef safe. Since you described polyps simply going missing, and finding one detached and on the sand, I'd say they are being eaten by the crab. Try trapping it and keeping it isolated. If you still lose polyps, I'll mail you a free mushroom coral. My money is on the crab.
Someone stop me! Please! But... not just yet...
55 Gal Tropical FW
55 Gal Mixed Reef
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
^ Great point about the crab
JustinKBreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

You are totally right, I didnt had time to look for reef safe crabs, and didnt make a trap, but a few minutes ago I was looking at my tank with a flash light and this is what I found.

Attachment 108551

I put it inside a glass in my refugium and will try to get and ID

Attachment 108552

Attachment 108553

smithce79 is offline   Reply With Quote

rim, shrimp, shrimps, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com