Killer Tang... Need Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnd4g

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all...
Newbie here so please be patient. I set up my first saltwater fish only tank about 5 months ago and have been doing surprisingly well except for one thing. Some of my fish keep dieing. I presently have a Yellow Tang, two Blue/Green Chromis, a Horshoe Crab, and a few dwarf crabs and snails. I do 10-20% water changes every 2 weeks. I check my water chemistry frequently and its been looking good. I use tap water filtered thru a RO/DI filter. Over the last few months I've lost at different times a Yellow Eyed Tang, a Sailfin Tang, a Tassle Filefish, a Royal Gramma, and 3 False Percs. The Chromis are original to the tank and the Yellow Tang and Horshoe Crab have been with me for about 3 months. I can probably expect that some of my earlier losses were due to my own inexperience. But lately I've noticed that the Yellow Tang has been attacking and killing my more recent fish.... the Sailfin Tang and Tassle Filefish. The Yellow Tang is about 3 inches long and is a beautiful fish in my aquarium, but I don't like the fact that he's killing the other fish. What do you folks recommend? Should I trade him in and introduce a group of new additions at once? Are there any fish that should be safe from attacks? Will the Chromis also start this same behavior? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy my tank but would like to add some new fish that will survive.

Thanks,
John

Yellow Tangs can be pretty aggressive, especially to other tangs. Tangs should be kept at about six or more, or only one. Also, Tangs are very territorial, and you haven't left much territory. 46 gallons is not enough for a single Yellow Tang, let alone a Yellow, Yellow Eyed, Sailfin, etc.

The yellow tang is agressive and should be one of the last to be put in the tank. He'll be especially agressive towards a new tang -or anything resembling his body shape. I'll be adding a new tang to my current yellow soon, but when I do, I'll remove the yellow to the QT :soap: , re-arrange the rocks, and put the new fish in. Otherwise you might also be sure that any new tang is bigger than the yellow is.

Let us know what happens fro here.

And of course.... welcome to AA! :smilecolros:

Oh yeah. Corty's advise hit the nail on the head. 45g is kinda small for a tang, let lone more than one. I guess he was kinda pissed when you added another.

Thanks for all the advice guys! But now that I have the Yellow Tang and he's well established in the tank what should I do? Get rid of him? Change the decorations around and add smaller fish that don't resemble him? Suggestions?

Also... what should be the largest fish and the quantity of fish that I should put into the 46 gallon tank?

Thanks again!
John

He can stay for now if you like him, but he should be moved to at least a 55 gallon tank in the near future. These guys can get up to eight inches. If you do not plan on getting a bigger tank, I would return him now so that he can have a happy life in someone elses home.

If you do keep him for now, the best way to add new inhabitants are to do exactly what you suggested, change around the decorations and add fish that are not Tangs. You will still want to keep an eye on him, as Yellow Tangs are known for being aggressive.

You have a decent selection of fish available for a 46 gallon tank, and a decent selection that will get along with your Tang (provided the decoration moving works).

For some ideas, you can always check out LiveAquaria: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15

They have some decent stats and pictures to give you an idea of what you're getting. More research is usually needed after, but it's a good base. They also have a compatability chart, but I've found that to be about 85-90% reliable, so make sure to double check (as you would anyway).

Good luck with your fishies :]

I think you should take the tang back. Keep with fish suitable for that tank size. Aggression can be counterbalanced with a bigger tank, but nothing you are gonna do is going to keep this fish content/amused for long without it resorting to aggression due to the fact the tank is so small.

A 46 gal Bowfront is small for a tang, they need swimming room, they also need the room because they can be territorial.
The Tasseled Filefish get to 12 inches, its another fish that gets to big for your tank.
You may want to stay away from Tangs, Filefish & Triggers, you may be able to get a wrasse. They are beautiful fish, I wish I could suggest a wrasse to you but I only have Bird Wrasses and they get big.

Can they have wrasses or a couple of wrasses in a 46 Bow Front?

Kaye

I dissagree on the aggressiveness of a yellow tang... I have one that is very very peaceful... not at all territorial. In fact he is a bit of a baby. I have him in a 55 and that is pushing the limits from what I hear but mine seems very happy. Definatly a problem in a 46 bow with another tang though. it is probably barely 36" long if that much. Also I am moving to a 140-180 within a year so he won't have to stay in there forever. I also have only 35# of LR and one fake branch so he has a good amount of open space. They are definately more active than a trigger or clown so the confined space is probably making him aggressive. They should be peaceful by nature.

MattP725 said:
I dissagree on the aggressiveness of a yellow tang... I have one that is very very peaceful... not at all territorial. In fact he is a bit of a baby. I have him in a 55 and that is pushing the limits from what I hear but mine seems very happy. Definatly a problem in a 46 bow with another tang though. it is probably barely 36" long if that much. Also I am moving to a 140-180 within a year so he won't have to stay in there forever. I also have only 35# of LR and one fake branch so he has a good amount of open space. They are definately more active than a trigger or clown so the confined space is probably making him aggressive. They should be peaceful by nature.

Mine is as well. Like most every creature, they have a wide variety of personalities, but in general, I would say they are aggressive. Another factor is how old the Tang is. I've seen two young Tangs in a 20 gallon with no problem - obviously a problem as adults.

As a Tang grows it may become more aggessive, especially in a smaller system. Also, every fish (like any other animal) is different. One Yellow Tang may be very mellow, while another can be a terror. Luck of the draw.
That being said, I would also recommend returning the tang, for the same reasons already stated.

I would be hard pressed to blame anything that is aggressive in such a small tank. Personally, with the exception of some special species, I don't like seeing anything in a tank smaller than 30 gallons. Going from the Ocean to a 46 or 55 gallon is bad enough. Some 10-30g tanks barely have enough room to turn around in. Not to mention that they are unneccessarily harder to maintain.

You will find some young terrors but as adults they can become very territorial, most of the time it is recommended the Tang should be the Last fish in. If the tank is to small the whole tank could become their territory.

Kaye

I am also new at keeping a saltwater aquarium and to Aquarium Advice. But, I would just like to say that the horseshoe crab you have, you might want to also take back. I too had a horseshoe crab I took him to a LFS 2 days later. I read many article here about them after the fact. First they get to over two feet in diameter, not including its tail. Second they sift through the sand feeding on the life line of the tank. They will go through the sand in your tank in no time killing all inhabitants and itself. They are quite destructive. I too thought they were cool looking and would be a great addition to my tank. The LFS I bought the guy from did not inform me of this. That goodness I only paid $3.99 for him. This is just some helpful advice.

I've gotta big purple tang (about 4 inches) that rules my tank. He wacks everyone around including my 7 inch clown trigger. Yellow and purple tangs are just very aggressive fish and will fight with any other fish they see as competition. About the only thing she leaves alone is the lionfish. Personally, I'd get move the yellow tang out, and re -introduce it after you have the tank you want. It needs to be the last fish. How big was the filefish it killed? I love the tasslefiles but never seen them more then dime size in the fish store.

You also asked about the chromis. I don't think you will see a problem with them. I have 6 of them, and they pretty much stay to themselves. Even my clown like em :mrgreen: and he's mean to everybody. Pretty peaceful IMO. anyone else?

Thanks for all the advice! I'm very impresed by all the knowledge here. A big difference from my LFS.

You've got me convinced.... the Yellow Tang's days are numbered. He's going back to the LFS.

I want to add some live rock, live sand and a protein skimmer to my tank in the near future so I won't add any more fish till that job is complete.

Thanks again!
John

Back
Top Bottom