Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Kind of confused

So I keep testing my water with the hydrometer to check the gravity of it. On the back of my Coral-Life Deep Six Hydrometer and where the preferred gravity meter arrow pointer should be which is between 1.023 and 1.020. I got the gravity level in the preferred area but my mom talked to one of the employs at Petsmart and the guy said to keep it between 1.024 and 1.026. So where is the general gravity level at in most tanks??? 8O

Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If you have corals, you should keep it as close to 1.025 as possible. If you have fish only, you can do with a little lower. More important is keeping it stable wherever it is you choose to keep it.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good advice, however keep in mind evaporation. Saltwater evaporates at a good rate so if your are not home and your tank evaporates 1 gallon you do not want it at 1.025, rather 1.023 would be better so that at the end of the day it is not over 1.025.

A good auto topoff can keep things more stable.

Good Luck
Old 12-31-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was always told just to top of my tank with freshwater which I always do..my tank has been cycling for 4 weeks now and I only topped with fresh and my alkalinity has always stayed at the 1.024 which was the original..I dont knos have I just been lucky? I just did my 1st PWC todayand that was the only time that I added salt. This is what my guy at my LFS told me and he deals in nothing but SW. Am I off my rocker or does anyone else just do that?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

First you mean salinity/specific gravity not alkalinity.

When the water evaporates salt stays behing therefore raising your salinity. Topping off with the same amount of freshwater that evaporated brings it back to normal salinity. Preferably you want to use RO/DI.

What I do is I have a piece of tape in my sump at the water line so I know where the topoff level is. I am now moving toward an automated system however manually works just fine.

That is why I said it is a little better to have it a little less than 1.025 so that if you are not home and water evaporates, the salinity will not raise to high. Just my .2
Old 12-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
grim, you are correct, not off the rocker. Fresh goes in during top offs and PREMIXED saltwater goes in after the water change. If it's the same SG as your tank, you won't see a difference at all and that is prefered.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Devil...I thought I was doing things correct as this is what you guys have posted on here in the past also....good to know that I am on the right track at least in one area....Also Tomd I meant salinity not alkalinity....I was reading something previous about alkalinity. I guess everyone has different ways of doing things and a person just has to find out what works for them.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What do you mean? I said yes you topoff with fresh water, preferably RO/DI?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 72 gal and keep my salinity at 1.025. The tank evaporates about half a gallon a day. The salinity still reads 1.025. Even after 2 days almost a gallon down, still reads 1.025 using a refractometer. I always manually fill in the morning.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

That does not really make much sense. It has to change a little with a gallon of evaporation. Are you sure your refractometer is calibrated correctly. Sometimes depending on the refrac. it can be hard to see the line. I no longer use a one I use a salinity meter that is hooked to my sump but I do use one for my frag tank and my drums.

Evaporation rates depend on different things.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com