Kind of confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ablanck17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I keep testing my water with the hydrometer to check the gravity of it. On the back of my Coral-Life Deep Six Hydrometer and where the preferred gravity meter arrow pointer should be which is between 1.023 and 1.020. I got the gravity level in the preferred area but my mom talked to one of the employs at Petsmart and the guy said to keep it between 1.024 and 1.026. So where is the general gravity level at in most tanks??? 8O

If you have corals, you should keep it as close to 1.025 as possible. If you have fish only, you can do with a little lower. More important is keeping it stable wherever it is you choose to keep it.

Good advice, however keep in mind evaporation. Saltwater evaporates at a good rate so if your are not home and your tank evaporates 1 gallon you do not want it at 1.025, rather 1.023 would be better so that at the end of the day it is not over 1.025.

A good auto topoff can keep things more stable.

Good Luck

I was always told just to top of my tank with freshwater which I always do..my tank has been cycling for 4 weeks now and I only topped with fresh and my alkalinity has always stayed at the 1.024 which was the original..I dont knos have I just been lucky? I just did my 1st PWC todayand that was the only time that I added salt. This is what my guy at my LFS told me and he deals in nothing but SW. Am I off my rocker or does anyone else just do that?

First you mean salinity/specific gravity not alkalinity.

When the water evaporates salt stays behing therefore raising your salinity. Topping off with the same amount of freshwater that evaporated brings it back to normal salinity. Preferably you want to use RO/DI.

What I do is I have a piece of tape in my sump at the water line so I know where the topoff level is. I am now moving toward an automated system however manually works just fine.

That is why I said it is a little better to have it a little less than 1.025 so that if you are not home and water evaporates, the salinity will not raise to high. Just my .2

grim, you are correct, not off the rocker. :) Fresh goes in during top offs and PREMIXED saltwater goes in after the water change. If it's the same SG as your tank, you won't see a difference at all and that is prefered.

Thanks Devil...I thought I was doing things correct as this is what you guys have posted on here in the past also....good to know that I am on the right track at least in one area....Also Tomd I meant salinity not alkalinity....I was reading something previous about alkalinity. I guess everyone has different ways of doing things and a person just has to find out what works for them.

Happy New Year Everyone!

What do you mean? I said yes you topoff with fresh water, preferably RO/DI?

I have a 72 gal and keep my salinity at 1.025. The tank evaporates about half a gallon a day. The salinity still reads 1.025. Even after 2 days almost a gallon down, still reads 1.025 using a refractometer. I always manually fill in the morning.

That does not really make much sense. It has to change a little with a gallon of evaporation. Are you sure your refractometer is calibrated correctly. Sometimes depending on the refrac. it can be hard to see the line. I no longer use a one I use a salinity meter that is hooked to my sump but I do use one for my frag tank and my drums.

Evaporation rates depend on different things.

I keep mine at 1.025 also. If you stay on it daily then you`ll not have any problem. I`m just a newbie been only keeping it there for 9+ yrs. IMO as long as you stay on top of it you`ll be OK just like Lisa said.(Hara)

Back
Top Bottom