Kio 3.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a reef that big you'll want around 9,000 gph of flow as the rule goes... Or 50x per hour.

In my tank I have two returns, a hydor 2400, a 1400 and a nano behind the rocks in the back. I'm even thinking of adding another

Jlsardina said:
In my tank I have two returns, a hydor 2400, a 1400 and a nano behind the rocks in the back. I'm even thinking of adding another

Well darn, ok...

I'll have a good bit too... You saw the buckets I got... Lol... Also, I'm "baby sitting" a Niger trigger... He's beautiful. I want one, but I know the aren't reef safe. I think with this 180g, I'll want another fish. Thing seems so huge! Lol

Kio707 said:
I'll have a good bit too... You saw the buckets I got... Lol... Also, I'm "baby sitting" a Niger trigger... He's beautiful. I want one, but I know the aren't reef safe. I think with this 180g, I'll want another fish. Thing seems so huge! Lol

Kio, are you putting the Betta in the reef? Was just curious. My 90g is getting delivered/set up tomorrow.

SeanMonster said:
Kio, are you putting the Betta in the reef? Was just curious. My 90g is getting delivered/set up tomorrow.

Yes I am.. He doesn't eat coral.

Man of few words :) i like that. Haha that betta is BA. I am going to search for one like a madman!!!!

if its not too late.... its been my understanding that you dont want your flow, in a saltwater reef tank, to come from your return pump. in fact your return pump should be equal to or just shy of your skimmer. all the flow that we need comes from well placed power heads and/or a closed system.

Flow in a reef tank usually comes from a combination of the returns and power heads. It doesn't really make any difference where it comes from, just as long as it comes from somewhere. And the information that your returns should be equal to or less than your skimmer output, is ridiculous.
In tank circulation requirements are different depending on what types or corals you have as well. A SPS dominated tank will require more flow than a LPS or soft coral dominated tank.

Flow in a reef tank usually comes from a combination of the returns and power heads. It doesn't really make any difference where it comes from, just as long as it comes from somewhere. And the information that your returns should be equal to or less than your skimmer output, is ridiculous.
In tank circulation requirements are different depending on what types or corals you have as well. A SPS dominated tank will require more flow than a LPS or soft coral dominated tank.

its not "ridiculous" the sump is nothing more than a place for filtration and additional equipment.

lets say you have an ats. that system is very dependent on the correct amount of flow across the screen. more is not more beneficial and less is absolutely detrimental. one way to achieve that flow is having the drain plumbing feed the ats. return pump size has to be matched to that system of filtration.

skimmer or a sump with refugium:
sure if you have a return pump blasting your tank with 1200 gph or more your skimmer will still work, but if you slow that water flow down to match more of what the skimmers pump is rated for you can obtain a more thoroughly cleaned water amount per pass through the sump. similar to the concept of recirculating skimmers without having to pay the price for one. also if you have a refugium, flow rate through that shouldn't be 1200gph either dependent on what a person uses that for (pod population, isolated dsb, macro algae) you dont need that kind of flow and again it can be counter productive to some of the benefits.

i am NOT saying that you have not been successful with your tanks using higher flow through you sump. just consider that there are other ways to do things. i dont know if you have had the chance to chat with doug, screen name mr_X, but he ran a beautiful 125g reef with a mag 5 for his return pump. granted, i dont know if i remember the actual specifics properly, and if i dont, i do know im not too far off from them.

That all makes sense, but previous post mentioned nothing about an ATS, and if using any type of mechanical filtration ( ie filter sock ), more water passing through is def better. Your skimmer will work either way. I prefer to use a filter sock for about 5 days out of the week, 2 days without, I feel this helps my water stay clearer.
If not using any mechanical filtration, I guess that would be more efficient.
I wasn't trying to be offensive, I just didn't realize all the different facets of your question.

Kio, wanted to let you know that I got my 90g reef tank. Started a new thread called "SeanMonster's first reef tank (90g)". Hope you will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom