Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agre with the rest. I rinsed my sand 7 times with each 30Lbs of sand and still got the silt. It took a few days to settle. Just imagine how much silt would be in there if you hadn't rinsed it!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is why I add the sand before water, cover with plastic bags and then add water slowly into a bowl or plate on the plastic. 0 sand storm every time I have done it this way.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well my water WAS clear, but a powerhead came off its suction cups and made a huge mess again. I will be patient and wait till it clears on its own, but when you guys say itll 'settle' wont it just get kicked up again the second I turn everything on again? Or did you mean just mix into the water.

So its the bacteria that clears out the water?

Also, what problems can arise with salt being trapped in sand?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

These things are my friends...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

A little pricey, but how's that MasterCard commercial go? "Magnetic Powerhead holder: $25.00. Complete peace of mind: Priceless."

Assuming you don't have a powerhead right at sand level, or pointed down at your sand, once it settles out it'll probably stay put. Bacteria doesn't clear the water.

Regarding the salt in the sand, I'm sure melosu58 will get back with more info. While I'm just guessing, I'm thinking that if you have a bunch of salt mixed into the top layer of your sand you might have issues with salinity or pH as pockets dissolve. But assuming it dissolves fairly fast, I can't really imagine it will cause you too much grief. Just don't do it again! (It's always better to mix outside the tank and let it aereate for at least 24 hours to let the pH and salinity settle down.)
Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

From what I have read the bacteria grow on the sand particles and help hold/weigh them down. Is this fact or fiction? Just something I have read.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
woot im not the only one to have this prob.

I put in 40lbs of reg oceanic sand and 20lbs of live sand
the 40lbs went in on a friday by sat it was looking cloudy but clearing up.
Then i added the 20lbs of live. NO RINSE needed it said. yea well...
1 week later.. it finaly started to clear up.
I had turned off the skimmer after a few days and the ph's a few days later. When i turned them back on yes it became cloudy once again. But by the following day it was clear enough for me to see were the frack i was putting my live rock. Now the tank is almost crystal clear. still some silt on glass, various equipment and looks like some free floating in the tank.

so .. Friday 40lbs sand ( semi cloudy)
sat 20lbs live sand ( started out semi became extreamly cloudy after livesand added)
mon.. turned of skimmer
wed.. turned off ph ( looking better)
fri.. truned ph on (opps cloudy up but not bad) ( cleand silt off equipment and side of glass)
Sat.. Added 80lbs live rock < looked good to start.. became semi cloudy after rock added ,, prob cuz some pieces didnt sit well at 1st oppps>
Sunday.. moved some rock around < a little cloudy but clear by night>
Monday.. clear but still silt on some equip and sides of glass

1 green emereald hitch hicker had a likeing to the rock but the rock had a "CRUSH" on him so he's moved on. He must have been crushed when i was moveing the rock around n didnt see him. Hell i didnt see him till last night when i was shineing a lite around n spoted him.

so yea.. it will seatle down .. eventualy... I'm now on the home stretch. im cycleing my tank finaly.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah the ph was about 1/2 way between the top of the tank and the top of the sand bed, so it popped off the cups and was just dangling by the cord... basically pointing about 45 degrees down

Currently, everything is off and hopefully next time i get a chance to get over there it will ahve calmed down. Im not going to turn anything on till I place my rocks cuz they need to go in a soon as I get them.

I fear for my wave machine, it was on while the water was clear but the ph making a mess caused the machine to freeze up (i found it not working and the moter was way hot) the motor has since cooled and it still runs ok, but the wave unit will not be turned on till I get clear water and get a chance to give it a good rinsing in the bath tub. I just hope there isnt any perminant grinding damage done to it. (its a wave2k)

Tags
cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com