Kolorscape = 50% silt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the 150 im setting up... I got to drain it. again. This time $55 worth of reef crystals along with it, sigh.

I am (obviously) at the sand phase of setting up and if you read the other thread on sand, you'd know I decided to go with kolorscape. I had my tank full and salt mixed for a few days. I got about 7 bags of kolorscape white sand, the kind that bubbles /w vinegar, and prewashed each one (i dumped the bag into a 30 gallon rubbermaid thing and swished it around about 10 fillups (fill up, swish, dump cloudy water, repeat) until I could see through to the bottom, as I figured this would get rid of the silt but not the fine sand that would settle within an hour or so.

Oh, how I was wroooooong.

After deciding my sand was ready I put it in the tank, a nice 4-inch and change deep bed. Adding the sand made the water totally fog up, but no biggie i figured, same thing happened to my 29gal and its water is so clear my cats have tried jumping through the glass to attack the fish (which I might add is HILARIOUS to see in the act, they just crash right into the side) Sorry Im not evil or anything but serves em right for trying to get my fishies :p they know better now heh.

The next day i come back... water is barely clearer. Silt silt silt silt silt SILT arrg!! There is a layer of it all accross the bottom. After trying to syhpon it off the bottom and only making it worse, I decided I had to drain the tank, get the sand out and clean it again. So I did.

I was THOROUGH this time. I dredged about 1/2 the sand out, cleaned it, and placed the super clean sand on top of the (now dry) other less clean sand.

I then began filling the tank again, and the ro/di unit got about an inch or 2 in some spots before I left today... but the water was still looking pretty foggy. I dont know what to do now!! My tank is a total MESS and my water still looks terrible. im hoping whats left in the water is just a little silt and will be dispersed when the tank is full, but I fear this is not the case.

My question is this:
The tank's ph will be 8.3, and since this is acidic, that will break down the sand. Will the superfine particles floating in the water (the demon silt) be broken down quickly by the water and the whole natural process soon enough to not worry about the water quality as it stands now? Or would that take months to even break down silt particles? (I would have to add more salt and add the marine buffer to get that started) If the salt+buffer didnt clear the water up, is there anything I can do?

ps. I did try 2 canister filters but to no avail. The silt particles are far too fine to get caught in the media. Its almost like ink or paint... theres still silt dust in the crevices of my fingernails as I type this. Its so fine it feels like lubricant.

I agree. That's commonplace with all sand... And since you added 350 lbs of it, it's going to take a while to settle. Yeah you'll see that layer on top of your sandbed, but be patient and it'll not be a problem. Please don't drain all your water and waste all that money. The same will happen with almost any sand you buy.

You guys dont think I needed to drain the water? There was a *LOT* of silt.

I guess now that I think about it, I put the sand in the 1st time maybe tuesday or wednesday, so it was a few days.

But man *sigh* I wish I had a computer at the new place (or internet for that matter), I'd love to be able to post here when I run into a problem for some quick opinions.

OK so... i'll let the tank refill and put more salt into it (which isnt a huge deal I guess, my salinity was a little low still and I was gonna have to buy another bucket anyway) should I run the water pumps? Will the dust hurt anything or is it too fine to bother the equipment? I figure if I'm safe to turn things on, I can at least get the water mixin' up and maybe saturate whats left of the silt more quickly.

I would leave the pumps turned off until everything settles. You should also mix the salt in the buckets and not in the tank. Then pour the saltwater into the tank.

I agree also as I would wait now and pre mix the salt and pour it in the tank. If you just pour salt mix in there it will get trapped in your sand and cause problems. Maybe you can buy a rubbermaid trash can and mix a good amount at one time. With that much sand you`ll need to probably wait a week for it to settle.

Agnate80700 said:
The tank's ph will be 8.3, and since this is acidic, that will break down the sand.

I am not a "salty", but a pH of 8.3 is not acidic - it is alkaline. I don't think you have to worry about your sand breaking down. Follow the others' advice and the silt will settle.

An t-iasg said:
I am not a "salty", but a pH of 8.3 is not acidic - it is alkaline. I don't think you have to worry about your sand breaking down. Follow the others' advice and the silt will settle.

(y) (y)

borrow or pick up a hang on back filter or run a canister if you have one, it will help clean it up faster.
I would not even check Ph, amm, nitrite or anything at this point.. It means nothing at this point. When bacteria starts to grow it will help settle out the silt.

Sometimes it takes a while but eventually the water will clear up. mine too was very cloudy even though I rinsed the sand many many times before adding to tank and filling with water. Mine took about 5 days to clear completely and yours will to eventually.

Good look

I agre with the rest. I rinsed my sand 7 times with each 30Lbs of sand and still got the silt. It took a few days to settle. Just imagine how much silt would be in there if you hadn't rinsed it!

This is why I add the sand before water, cover with plastic bags and then add water slowly into a bowl or plate on the plastic. 0 sand storm every time I have done it this way.

Well my water WAS clear, but a powerhead came off its suction cups and made a huge mess again. I will be patient and wait till it clears on its own, but when you guys say itll 'settle' wont it just get kicked up again the second I turn everything on again? Or did you mean just mix into the water.

So its the bacteria that clears out the water?

Also, what problems can arise with salt being trapped in sand?

These things are my friends...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

A little pricey, but how's that MasterCard commercial go? "Magnetic Powerhead holder: $25.00. Complete peace of mind: Priceless."

Assuming you don't have a powerhead right at sand level, or pointed down at your sand, once it settles out it'll probably stay put. Bacteria doesn't clear the water.

Regarding the salt in the sand, I'm sure melosu58 will get back with more info. While I'm just guessing, I'm thinking that if you have a bunch of salt mixed into the top layer of your sand you might have issues with salinity or pH as pockets dissolve. But assuming it dissolves fairly fast, I can't really imagine it will cause you too much grief. Just don't do it again! (It's always better to mix outside the tank and let it aereate for at least 24 hours to let the pH and salinity settle down.)

From what I have read the bacteria grow on the sand particles and help hold/weigh them down. Is this fact or fiction? Just something I have read.

woot im not the only one to have this prob.

I put in 40lbs of reg oceanic sand and 20lbs of live sand
the 40lbs went in on a friday by sat it was looking cloudy but clearing up.
Then i added the 20lbs of live. NO RINSE needed it said. yea well...
1 week later.. it finaly started to clear up.
I had turned off the skimmer after a few days and the ph's a few days later. When i turned them back on yes it became cloudy once again. But by the following day it was clear enough for me to see were the frack i was putting my live rock. Now the tank is almost crystal clear. still some silt on glass, various equipment and looks like some free floating in the tank.

so .. Friday 40lbs sand ( semi cloudy)
sat 20lbs live sand ( started out semi became extreamly cloudy after livesand added)
mon.. turned of skimmer
wed.. turned off ph ( looking better)
fri.. truned ph on (opps cloudy up but not bad) ( cleand silt off equipment and side of glass)
Sat.. Added 80lbs live rock < looked good to start.. became semi cloudy after rock added ,, prob cuz some pieces didnt sit well at 1st oppps>
Sunday.. moved some rock around < a little cloudy but clear by night>
Monday.. clear but still silt on some equip and sides of glass

1 green emereald hitch hicker had a likeing to the rock but the rock had a "CRUSH" on him so he's moved on. He must have been crushed when i was moveing the rock around n didnt see him. Hell i didnt see him till last night when i was shineing a lite around n spoted him.

so yea.. it will seatle down .. eventualy... I'm now on the home stretch. im cycleing my tank finaly.

Yeah the ph was about 1/2 way between the top of the tank and the top of the sand bed, so it popped off the cups and was just dangling by the cord... basically pointing about 45 degrees down

Currently, everything is off and hopefully next time i get a chance to get over there it will ahve calmed down. Im not going to turn anything on till I place my rocks cuz they need to go in a soon as I get them.

I fear for my wave machine, it was on while the water was clear but the ph making a mess caused the machine to freeze up (i found it not working and the moter was way hot) the motor has since cooled and it still runs ok, but the wave unit will not be turned on till I get clear water and get a chance to give it a good rinsing in the bath tub. I just hope there isnt any perminant grinding damage done to it. (its a wave2k)

Back
Top Bottom