L.R.ques. ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldfishead

Aquarium Advice Regular
could anyone tell me if l.r. , when introduced to your tank , carry parisites and dieseases with it ??? or what is the proper way to introduce l.r. into your tank ??

thanks for your advice !!! oldfishead

I doubt it. Even if they did, the cycke would probaly kill them. Most parasites also need a host (the fish) in order to survive. So it would probably die that way too.

To introduce it, simply put it in the tank! Assuming your tank has no livestock yet, right?

The Curing Live Rock? article covers how to cure if buying uncured lr. The risk of adding uncured lr to an existing tank is that it would drive your nh3 higher (from the die-off) then the bacteria can process it and kill your livestock.

If buying lr from your lfs that is already cured and in a holding tank usually there isn't any risk to adding directly to your tank because any die-off would have already happened. The only exception is if they just got the rock in at the lfs.

Personally I wouldn't risk adding any lr directly to a tank that has fish/inverts in it already. It's much safer to follow the procedures in the article until your nh3/no2 is 0.

mel;
i don't think i'm having any problems with , just a curious ques.
i've been buying it at the L.F.S. and had no probs.
again just a newbie ques.

oldfishead !!!!!

No problem. Just wondered. If you trust you LFS then you`re good to go but if not or he says it`s not cured then you`ll have to cure per the curing that Tec was talking about.

I add mine directly from my LFS into my main. It is already cured and in the tanks, with the fish. But, to be safe, tec had a great link.

Back
Top Bottom