Larger fish for a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in my 55 reef, I'm going to trade in my six line for a firefish and a purple or exquisite one. I'm only looking for 5 or so fish in my 55, but I do want a sorta of show fish. Maybe one that gets 5-6 in max. It also has to be reef safe. Gotta to love corals

Marine Betta
Leopard Wrasse
Choat's Red Leopard Wrasse
Yellow-Flanked Fairy Wrasse

I love the marine betta in my 55 reef. The only problem with it being a show fish for the tank...is that it hides for company. When I come near the tank, it darts out and flairs up to intimidate me.
The other large fish in my tank, and I catch lots of trash for it, but I think the small tangs do well in this as the minimum size tank. The tomini and kole tangs. I have a tomini and love it.

I love marine bettas but always under the impression that they were a hunter. Kinda a slow stalking type then the attack. Would it eat cleaner shrimp or fish as small as the firefish?

I also like rabbit fish but I would feel bad to have something that active that also grows 7in in a 55. That's a bit over half of the depth of my tank. I usually rule of thumb it by the width has to be double the size of the adult fish.

The only two that I'm thinking of bypassing this rule with is the marine betta cause they are (at least from what I've read) not very active swimmers.
Also a square tail tang though I'm feeling really iffy in that.

A grouper is a grouper at some points haha. A marine betta is a shy beast of a fish who will defend itself quite well should it need to.

Alright awesome! Just wanting to make sure my shrimp will be fine.
So how do you feed yours? In my area, it's hard to find live ghost shrimp as live aquaria suggested

I love marine bettas but always under the impression that they were a hunter. Kinda a slow stalking type then the attack. Would it eat cleaner shrimp or fish as small as the firefish? .

it is a grouper and has a good sized mouth, so ya takes your chances for sure.

Marine Betta are shy and will stay in the shadows. I broadcast feed my tank and it will come out. It is still a slow feeder, like you stated. While all the other fish are darting around the tank, it will wait for the food to come to it before snatching it up.
That said, don't worry about it with other fish. It can take care of itself with the other fish. When it comes to shrimp and crabs...it will make sure they aren't in the tank. They are just expensive meals to him.

Back
Top Bottom